Jackie Schuknecht
06-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Small crop on three sides.
100mm w 25mm extension tube/ 40D
f 7.1
Evaluative +2/3
ISO 400
1/40s
Lighten the left side with NIK reflector effects (silver)
Comments/Suggestions Appreciated, as I am nowhere near the skill level as some of you macro wizards.
...Now I am just waiting for my Jules makeover.

Julie Kenward
06-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Am I THAT bad? :o :eek::o

Jackie, I like your DOF here. Only suggestion I have is to increase the whites a bit as they feel a little "dirty" towards the edges. I do like the faint silver look...nice touch!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-13-2010, 09:02 PM
No you aren't.:D I would just like to have a picture that completely works! Anyways I think it was a good suggestion. Here is a repost. Used selective colour and took all the blacks out of the whites, brushed other parts back in so they weren't as bright.

Fabs Forns
06-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Very nice repost of an interesting composition, white fireworks to boot!

Julie Brown
06-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Jackie, the dandelion may be lowly, but also beautiful in close-up. I like your composition and the repost.:)

Julie Kenward
06-14-2010, 07:04 AM
I like the repost, too! And here's something to keep in mind, Jackie...

In Persia, when they made rugs, they dutifully spent the entire time (many long hours) getting the pattern exactly right - every thread in place - and then towards the end they'd put one single thread out of place on purpose. Why? Because they believed that nothing but their God should (or could) ever attain perfection.

I try to remember that story when I cut off a leaf edge or get a petal that turns down instead of up or can't get the greens to be the right shade. :D;):D

Dave Leroy
06-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Very nice Jackie. I like the repost.

DDL puffs always seem like an invitation to take a photo.

Good one.

Ken Childs
06-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Interesting crop and the repost looks better. Dandelions are incredibly common and are probably one of the most photographed flowers in the macro world. It's always a challenge to try and find a new way to look at one.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Nice parable Jules. Thanks for the comments everyone. Still lots of practicing and work to do. Macro really is a world into itself.

Roman Kurywczak
06-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi Jackie,
I'm not sold on the RH side.....probably because of the green and brown corners....or perhaps I want the outside edge. Repost made the whites cleaner....which was good. I do think you handled this very well....I will continue the debate with myself on the RH side!

Paul Lagasi
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Like the sharpness and DOF of the center and comp..Nicely done, Jackie..aren't you glad we live in Ontario, no weed killer allowed..:D

Jackie Schuknecht
06-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Paul I actually like it w/o the weed killers. I like the dandelions. Wonder what the golf courses are doing. Roman, a one man debating team, I like that:D.

Mike Moats
06-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Hey Jackie, it is amazing how a weed that people loath in their lawns can produce such nice artwork. Like the repost.

Thomas Herou
06-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Dandelions are fascinating!
I think your composition is really intresting,it reminds me of a cactus yet soft.

OvidiuCavasdan
06-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Always interesting to shoot dandelions! I like the comp and even like the green-brown corners, dont know why...just like the corners. Repost is better.