PDA

View Full Version : Orange Mound Spring

D. Robert Franz
06-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Layton and I worked on this feature for a good while a couple weeks back. Rainy dreary day. ND Grads didn't work, they darkened the top of the thermal feature so I used exposure blending in photomatix. A polarizer to cut the glare on the water and increased saturation.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Shutter speed: 1/5 sec
Aperture: 16
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Single frame shooting
Self-timer: 2 secs
ISO: 200
Lens: EF16-35mm f/2.8L USM
Focal length: 16mm
AF mode: One-shot AF

Robert Amoruso
06-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Good use of exposure blending as that is what called for here as an ND Filter not a good option for the reasons mentioned. I like the good FG to BG sharpness. I might have tried a comp with the mound more right in the frame to include the trees interesting the left edge - assuming that did not introduce other problems.

Dave Mills
06-13-2010, 01:26 PM
To my eye the colors and textures are the strength in the image. Simple but effective comp with enough detail in the clouds to add some interest. The backround is minimalised enough to just add a small bit of environment. Well handled...

Roman Kurywczak
06-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Hey Dale,
Very nice presentation and angle on orange mound spring! I do think the colors and textures lead nicely through the frame. Very nice job on the blend also.
Now.....for the split ND comment....not entirely true.....but I will add an astersisk*....at that exposure not possible......I like to whip out the Vari ND in this situation......get a 10-15 seconds exposure......and then move 1or 2 splits on the diagonal.....up and down to get a similar effect! Will give you this.....the blend is probably easier though in the final outcome.....just showing another option as I like the sharpness of the grey clouds in this presentation!

Morkel Erasmus
06-14-2010, 05:04 PM
lovely colour, compo and scene Dale - good job on keeping the Photomatix result natural!
I don't have an ND filter yet so I need to blend any shot with high dynamic range :o

John Blumenkamp
06-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Love your perspective and angle here... really well composed. Congrats!