View Full Version : You Lookin' At Me?

Lance Warley
03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Sandhill Crane at Okeeheelee Saturday

40D +400 5.6L @ 5.6 1/250 iso400, flash

Maxis Gamez
03-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi Lance,

Love the sharpness and vivid colors. The composition does not work for me. The picture doesn't really tell me much. I think if you include the whole head at this same angle could work better. The legs in the BG are a little distracting. I think you saw this in a artistic way if you will....mmmm... Let me come back to it and let you know how I feel.

Thanks!

Lance Warley
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Sure. Thanks, Maxis.

I like it because it's unusual. The Crane let me get so close.

Steve Maxson
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Nice color and detail on the head. I don't mind the legs, but this image screams vertical composition to me. Would like to see the whole head included in a vertical format. Looks like a very cooperative bird.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-03-2008, 06:40 PM
I'd love to see this species up close sometime. I would prefer a vertical crop showing the entire bill.

Paul Pagano
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Interesting crop. Don't know if it works for me or not, but I do agree, its awesome that you were able to get this close to a Sandhill. I've only seen one live (up close) at a zoo. Not common here in N. Florida.

Alfred Forns
03-03-2008, 07:34 PM
I can go for that crop minus the legs !!!! Really like the angle !!! Great thinking Lance !!!!!

Dave Phillips
03-03-2008, 07:34 PM
awesome being so close to a SHC....I'm a sucker for close crop and detail. Really yearning to see a vertical of the whole bill.

but that's only my untrained yearning :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Amazing you were able to get so close Lance and I love the excellent color and detail in the face. I too would like to see all the beak in a vertical pose. I must say that I suffer a little envy that you were able to get that close. Thanks for sharing Lance !!!

Bonnie Block
03-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi Lance, Well--I am OK with the legs on this one--just wishing for the rest of the bill and a little more foot-- Terrific being so close!

Jim Poor
03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I like the close up, but I would either crop out the legs (first choice) or tone them down so they are not so bright. To me, it's all about the eye and the details in the red.

Joshua Lubitz
03-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Lance

Very interesting pose I agree with Al above in that the legs are a little distracting, and as Judy said maybe a vertical crop would work also. But I love the detail and the lighting gives it a lot of depth and texture on the head!

By the way I was at Okeeheelee on Saturday myself. Didn't see this guy though, I was more concentrated on taking my family to the Westfest festival though.