PDA

View Full Version : an international gem

John Chardine
06-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Well, I promised certain BPN moderators an image from my recent trip to Campobello Island, New Brunswick.

It was not my first visit but this time I had a chance to get to know the place, and what a fabulous place it is. The island is connected to the mainland by a small bridge to Lubec, Down East, Maine. Later in the year a ferry runs from Canada (Deer Island, where I also work).

For those of you who don't know, Franklin Delano Roosevelt had his summer home on Campobello Island, and Canada and the US cooperate in the management of a wonderful and almost unique international park to preserve the house and surrounding park. I would recommend a visit!

The attached image is of the "summer home", which makes my year-round Victorian house look like a cabin in comparison!

I was too busy to visit the interior of the home this time but I will next time I'm down.

Oh and by the way, you know you are in a good place when people wave to you as you pass them in your vehicle on the road. I was used to this on Deer Island but also saw the same custom on Campobello Island and in Lubec, Maine. I just love it!

Alfred Forns
06-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks John !!! :) Sweet !!

Might get to see it fairly soon ! Love the colors and feel !! .. must be nice in the winter !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Beautiful shot John, was aware of this, but had forgotten. Love the windows, can you go in? Looks like it.

John Chardine
06-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Al- it's 3-4 hours from where I live so make sure you tell me when you are up in these parts!

Jackie- Yes you can go in. I will next time. The Roosevelt Park is completely open with no fees. The people who work there are really nice folks. What I really liked was driving along a gravel road in the park and coming to a pebble beach with no one around, or sitting in the middle of a bog with just the birds singing. It was magic.

Harshad Barve
06-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Beautiful shot John
TFS