PDA

View Full Version : You only get to see the good ones

Alfred Forns
06-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Following Lance's lead posting one that is close to what I wanted, just he beak merging with the shore line makes it not a keeper. A shame but it will have to go !!

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Canon 7D
100-400 IS
f 6.3 1/1600 sec
Manual exp +2/3 off sky
ISO 400

Grace Scalzo
06-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Al, If this were mine, I would keep it. I agree that as a general rule, background elements intersecting your main subject in prominent places (head, beak, etc) distracts but in this image the background is far enough away and the pose of the bird so dynamic with the full wing spread (and tail) that I am not the least bit bothered by the merge. Just my 2 cents.

Dave Leroy
06-12-2010, 09:23 PM
For me whether to keep or reject a photo is a personal thing.

This photo has a lot of positives. So for someone who does not do a lot of bifs, or who seldom sees these birds then it would probably be a keeper.
For someone else who gets lots of opportunities at them and has lots of photos in storage they may decide to let this one go.

I think this is one of those situations with no right or wrong choices.

Harshad Barve
06-12-2010, 09:54 PM
You can't delete this Alfred :eek:
excellent pose by bird , gorgeous wings and tail here
TFS

Lorant Voros
06-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe the BG is distracting, but the pose is fantastic with nice detail and eye contact. I would keep it for sure.

Lorant

Desmond Chan
06-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Some more blurring and darkening could improve the background, I think. If you don't like the beach, get some water there. Or move the trees closer to the water ;)

Dave Mills
06-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi Al, I feel the image is well handled but your the final boss on whether it stays or goes...

Troy Lim
06-13-2010, 04:54 AM
The banking pose is worth it just to keep it for a record.

arash_hazeghi
06-13-2010, 04:54 AM
would keep this one Al, PS work can take care of the merge :D

Alfred Forns
06-13-2010, 06:22 AM
My first thought on this one was PS but actually do very little to my images and for two main reason, one is that I'm lazy :) the other I hate to leave something behind and have someone find out the fix. Disclosing is the solution but I think it detract from the image if you need to say it every time (and should) ... altered shoreline so the beak would not merge with shoreline by ...... etc. !!! Imagine if it was the only banking vertical I had would be doing some high end PS work :)

Jackie Schuknecht
06-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Setting high standards Al. Good to hear you make comments like this as it is good to keep in mind. I guess you would have preferred it either higher or lower.

Ray Rozema
06-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I think this is a good one. I think the pose/angle of the bird is very interesting and diffent. the problem w the background for me is minimal. I prefer this much to the one earlier that had the building in the background.

TFS
Ray