PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Black Vulture

Joshua Lubitz
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

My first post on BPN. Seems like an excellent community here!

This was captured last Friday at Anhinga Trail. Shot from very close as these guys are not skittish at all in the park. This is full frame.

Thanks for looking. :)

Josh

Equipment Used:
Canon 10D, Gitzo 1325, Arca Swiss Ballhead, 100-400 L IS, 550 EX Flash, Better Beamer.

Exposure:
1/80, F5.6, Exp. Comp - 2/3, ISO 400, Flash @ -2 2/3 comp.

Photoshop: Levels, +8 Sat, USM.

Alfred Forns
03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Josh Big Welcome !!!! Amazing you were able to get close to this bird :eek: Love those guys Have seen them running into people when they play !!! :)

You did well getting a good clean bg and light angle Bird is well lit Would try having the head more toward the camera in order to have the tip of the beak sharp The low shutter speed did not help you much and image could be sharper Probably there is some motion blur

For these type will try even tighter For me the strongest is the face itself and don't care to show a lot of body For a different bg try to get them on the first turn to the left of the main path very early morning Will get a beatiful brown Keep them coming and I'm sure I will see you out there !!!

Joshua Lubitz
03-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Al

Points well taken. Unfortunately this was still pretty early morning and light was still low. I had to push the ISO to 400 to get the shutter speed that I had and I was all the way on the edge of the boardwalk trying to improve the head angle.

Maybe I should have used more flash to increase the Shutter speed at the expense of the BG.

We do the best we can with what we have.

Thanks again for your comments. - I appreciate you taking the time.

Lance Warley
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Welcome, Joshua.

There's nothing I can add to Al's critique, but I did want to say Welcome Aboard.

I'm frequently at Wako or Green Cay, and I'm guessing you are too, from your location. Looking forward to meeting you.

Alfred Forns
03-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Josh as soon as the sun clears the horizon there should be plenty of light for those beauties Make sure they are in direct light I don't much like using any flash at that early time It can ruin the warm light you are getting

If you go more powerful with the flash might as well shoot later in the day Might want to look back in birds Have a bunch of head shots posted Even black vultures !!!!

Maxis Gamez
03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
HI Josh,

I have to agree with Al. I still think this is a fine image as it is. I kinda like the dark BG, it goes well with your subject.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Welcome, Josh! The open bill makes this really interesting. I agree on head turn and sharpness.

Paul Pagano
03-03-2008, 07:19 PM
This is really cool. Poor bird was hit with the ugly stick but you got a great shot here. Never been this close to a black vulture.

Daniel Cadieux
03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Head angle already mentioned, but apart from that I like it alot! I like the dark BG and the inclusion of shoulder and upper back. I tighter crop would be good with the mouth closed but with it opened so wide and low it would be tough to pull off successfully.

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Welcome Joshua and great to have you posting here at BPN. Alfred has covered it all but I will look forward to your future posts. The detail in this portrait is excellent !!!!!

Dave Phillips
03-03-2008, 07:48 PM
welcome Joshua....you have gotten some really good feedback.
Don't be afraid of venturing beyond the IS0 400 barrier. That said, the texture here cries for sidelight to
enhance the detail by the small shadowing it would create