PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Pt. Bob

Kimberly Taillon
06-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Hello to everyone. My name is Kimberly. I am 42 years old and have a Masters degree in Social Work. Currently, I live in beautiful Point Roberts, Washington. It’s been a little bit of an adjustment living in this unique northwest corner of the US. I’m still getting use to border crossings, no Walmart, and the lack of a Taco Bell. However, I will say it has been worth it.

Since moving to Point Roberts this past December, the diversity of the bird population just in my back yard alone has motivated me to pick my husband’s Nikon and attempt to capture images of our feathered friends, something I have never been inspired to do before. My favorites to watch so far are the spotted towhee, black-capped chickadee and the northern flicker. The most exasperating: trying to figure out the difference between the house finch, purple finch and Cassin’s finch…argh! As I represent the “am” in amateur, it has been a bit frustrating at times when attempting to photograph them and their relatives so I am looking forward to learning more about the process. I will admit it is both intimidating and inspiring to view the expertise on this site. My word, you people do good work…absolutely beautiful.

By the way, any hints on how to slow down a humming bird enough so I can take its picture (just kidding)? They come to feed on our blackberry and blueberry bushes off of our back porch. This morning three different humming birds came at three different times, I missed photos of all three. I just know they’re taunting me…they must have a little convention together out somewhere to fill each other in on various strategies such as “the flyby,” the “neiner neiner neiner,” otherwise known as the now you see me now you don’t phenomenon, and the “tease,” a hovering pose guaranteed to make me think I have time to snap a picture. Ah well, I’ll read the forums for info and keep trying- I am going to get those cute little buggers! Thanks for reading this posting.

Have a wonderful day.

Kimberly

Harold Davis
06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
hi kimberly, big welcome to BPN!!! dont hesitate, just jump right in with both feet and post an image. best way to start! go over to Eager to Learn (ETL) for a little bit more gentler critique. great folks and the perfect place to learn!!

cant wait to see your pics!! and btw, if you are on facebook look up birdphotographers.net and give us a LIKE!!!

Don Nelson
06-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi, Kimberley

Welcome!

First, consider putting out a feeder. Once the Hummingbirds get accustomed to this, start sitting nearby quietly near the feeder - they'll get accustomed to you as well. You can then make images of the hummingbirds perched at a feeder

Or consider getting a number of flashes, a feeder with no perch, and a copy of Linda Robbin's Hummingbird Guide, which will give you many of the tricks of using high speed flash to stop the wings.

You've certainly landed in a part of Washington state that has access issues that the rest of us don't have,

Best regards
Don Nelson
Oregon

Axel Hildebrandt
06-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Welcome to BPN, Kimberly! I look forward to seeing some of your images. Good luck with the hummingbirds!

Lance Peters
06-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Welcome to BPN Kimberly - looking forward to seeing those Hummers!

Bill Jobes
06-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Welcome, Kimberly ! Looking forward to seeing your images on the forums !