PDA

View Full Version : Swallow tailed Kites at Corkscrew

Fabs Forns
03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Two seen yesterday, far away for the 200-400/4, but soaring all over a few times.
Audubon volunteer believes they are nesting there, she's seen them carrying nesting material.

Also I saw as many as 3 male and 1 female Painted Bunting by the feeder in the boardwalk. I posted one in Wild and Free:

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6567

Maxis Gamez
03-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Excellent news Fab. What part of the board walk did you get the image from?

Dave Phillips
03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
stomping my foot......wish I was down there!
And Fabs, congrats on a stunning female Painted Bunting photo

Fabs Forns
03-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Excellent news Fab. What part of the board walk did you get the image from?

Maxis, the feeder, as you come in, go left then another left. Not very good at directions there since that's my first time at Corkscrew :)

Thanks, I was very lucky, Alfred, Harold and Jill were walking the boardwalk, but it was hot and lonely, so I went back to the feeders. One minute later, this male perched in the only decent perch for a few seconds. Later, the group came back, but they never perched there again :confused:

Gayle Clement
03-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Bre and I went to Corkscrew today. We say the swallowtail kites soaring but did not see them land. The painted buntings were very consistent at the feeders but not on a pretty perch like Fabs :- ( I did get some decent shots of an ovenbird and a purple gallinule and was excited about those. Thanks for posting this info, Fabs. We had a super day.

Fabs Forns
03-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Bre and I went to Corkscrew today. We say the swallowtail kites soaring but did not see them land. The painted buntings were very consistent at the feeders but not on a pretty perch like Fabs :- ( I did get some decent shots of an ovenbird and a purple gallinule and was excited about those. Thanks for posting this info, Fabs. We had a super day.

That is great news, Gayle!!!

If you come down to ENP or Wako, please drop a note!

Gavin Spooner
03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Have not been to Corkscrew in over a year (no excuse as I now live in Naples) but I have seen a swallow tailed kite on 3 occasions on the way to pick my son up from school here in Naples.

will have to get out there soon. I promise.

cheers

Fabs Forns
03-14-2008, 01:16 PM
I just saw one over 1-75 right North of Fort Myers :)
None in the East Coast as of yesterday, though...

Judd Patterson
03-14-2008, 08:52 PM
There are lots of Swallow-tailed Kites in Florida now... I've heard birders report 10-12 on the drive between Parotis Pond and Flamingo in Everglades. Haven't seen my first this season, but I think tomorrow will be the day! :)

Sean McMahon
03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm vacationing on the gulf coast. Wow, a birders paradise.

Hope to post some info on all our stops. Spent a few nights on Sanibel and yup, from the car, at Periwinkle and Tarpon Bay Road, saw the huge forked tail of a swallow tailed kite in flight. No photo. :-(

I could never live there. I would crash the car!!!

Michael Pancier
03-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Judd any luck in the glades? I saw zippo last weekend.

Fabs Forns
03-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Judylynn just called she saw them at Anhinga Trail yesterday.

You all know where we'll be Sunday :)

Mike Godwin
03-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Had a pair show up at Gatorland today in late afternoon. Circled around for about an hour, but did not land. Guess now is the time they are out and about!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Michael Pancier
03-19-2008, 04:20 AM
Judylynn just called she saw them at Anhinga Trail yesterday.

You all know where we'll be Sunday :)

figures they come when I'm out of town at desoto. last year I saw them on good friday.

hopefully they'll stick around 1 more week.

anyone seen any sign of the ones from coral gables?

Judd Patterson
03-19-2008, 09:40 PM
They weren't active last Saturday morning, so I'm pretty sure that nest building is only at the very, very beginning stages. They should continue to make passes at the Spanish Moss for 2-3 weeks, and will likely continue supplementing the nest even during incubation as well. I'm hoping for the weekend of the 29th as I'm out of town for a while after that. :)