PDA

View Full Version : Gray Fox

Jason G. Harrison
06-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Here is another image of a female Gray Fox. I have been spending nearly every night in the blind waiting for the male and female to show up on their hunts. Every night but one, they have made a grand show of it. This image was after the female got up from lying down in the shade. She would hunt for a while in an open pasture, then head back into the shade for some rest. Though not a perfect technical shot, I do really like this shot.

D300s, 600VR, 1.4tc, f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/320th, +1.3EV

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/0218_S.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, many more to come of this beautiful pair of Gray Fox's. As always C&C welcomed and encouraged.

Jason

Harshad Barve
06-11-2010, 12:28 AM
this is terrific image , love the pose , compo , details and BG , Big congrats
TFS

Hilary Hann
06-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Jason, whilst I really like the pose and attention of the fox, I find the colour of the green overwhelming. I also don't like the bright green blade of grass cutting into the fox. I do like the beautiful look in the eyes of the fox and the brush extended out to the side, very pretty little creature.

Steve Kaluski
06-11-2010, 01:38 AM
I think Hilary has summed things up very well, the only thing I might add is suggesting a fraction more to the lhs and less on the rhs.

TFS
Steve

Ken Watkins
06-11-2010, 04:35 AM
I can only agree with Steve, the green looks much too saturated, although that is what it may have looked like. Other than that a mighty fine image.

Steve Kaluski
06-11-2010, 04:49 AM
Looking at it again Jason there is an overall green cast.

In colour balance I dropped the colour using the blues, duplicated and upped the colour for the fox. Merged layers, not great but may help the kind of direction? You might like to revisit the original file and tweak. David T did some good examples on a lion & cub post recently if that helps too.

Can post an example if required?

All the best
Steve ;)

Jason G. Harrison
06-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It never ceases to amaze me that when one sits and looks at something for a long time, how they can miss things! I can now clearly see the green color cast, what a dope! LOL... I have a reprocessed file ready for posting once I can post it (time regulations). The greens are indeed that saturated...and being in the shade, its even more so. In the revised version I took some of the sat out of the greens. Its not what my eye saw, but I tend to see things more vividly than most! Will upload the revised version later this evening.

Jason

Danny J Brown
06-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It never ceases to amaze me that when one sits and looks at something for a long time, how they can miss things! I can now clearly see the green color cast, what a dope! LOL... I have a reprocessed file ready for posting once I can post it (time regulations). The greens are indeed that saturated...and being in the shade, its even more so. In the revised version I took some of the sat out of the greens. Its not what my eye saw, but I tend to see things more vividly than most! Will upload the revised version later this evening.

Jason

Jason - Gorgeous animal and I can't wait to see the repost. You have quite a honey hole up there. The last time I checked you can simply repost the image without worrying about time restrictions. Just hit the Quote button on one of the critiques and you will be set to repost without a time warning.

DB

Jason G. Harrison
06-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Jason - Gorgeous animal and I can't wait to see the repost. You have quite a honey hole up there. The last time I checked you can simply repost the image without worrying about time restrictions. Just hit the Quote button on one of the critiques and you will be set to repost without a time warning.

DB

Danny, I am spoiled I know! So far, they have shown up every night but 1, and I was then told later that they came out right at dark, I had already left. I would love shots of the kits but the female is VERY protective and I do not want her to be pressured and move the den. I am happy taking shots of her and the adult. Who knows...perhaps they will let the kids come along some night. Here is a repost...with some corrections.

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/0218_v2_S.jpg

Bill Jobes
06-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Beautiful photo, Jason.

Your repost presents the red components of the fur much better, and the grasses and green background look much more natural.

Alfred Forns
06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Sweet image Jason Like the re post better and might be little over saturated on the green channel? Great pose and low angle !!!