PDA

View Full Version : Chroma-Key

Adrian David
06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I found extremely hard to obtain a black BG in my closeup and macro photo, using a black fabric and natural light with long exposure.The BG come out in shades of gray, not nearly close to the deep black that I want. I was thinking of using chroma-key green-screen or blue-screen as a BG and then substitute it with black color in PP.So I can avoid complicated masking techniques to preserve all the details on the edge of the photographed item (fine hairs, textures, etc.)
Would this technique work? Did you ever tried it? Will this technique be accepted in the "ethics" of nature photography? I don't intend to use this technique outdoors, where I use the natural BG that is available...only indoors where the light and the space available make it very difficult to get that deep black BG.
I'm looking forward to your answers!

Lance Peters
06-11-2010, 02:37 AM
hi David - Use chroma key every day in my work - and it does work well - BUT and it is a big but - your lighting has to be perfect - even exposure over the entire BG - No shadows period. Also of course you dont want any parts of your subject to be the same colour as your screen.

The software we use is a custom application for the type of work we do - P.S I think does do it and Photokey3 is probably the best of the third part apps - Fine hairs and textures may present some problems - any spill - light reflection back onto your subject from the BG will cause you problems.

Based on your comment above that you cannot get a solid colour BG - I dont think greenscreen is going to make your like any easier.

P R Hurst
06-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Hi,

Black velvet and keep your subject clear of the bg... Use this every day....

HTH

Phil

Adrian David
06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Thank you very much for your answers!
I am looking forward to more opinions on this mater....
I wil buy a piece of black velvet, and I'll give it a try.It is less expensive than a green screen...