PDA

View Full Version : First Trial with Rebel T2i

VinceRossi
06-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I had an opportunity to try out the Canon Rebel T2i (18mg) camera. I have used it with a EF s55-250 4, 5.6 telephoto lens. shot today @ 1/100sec shutter priority F10 ISO 800 Focal lenght @250mm Pattern Tripod was used..

As noted here a couple of times here I have not been too happy with my Nikon D5000. So, I have tried the T2i for the first time today and this is one of the immediate results. I like what I am seeing even though I feel the Nikon has a more BEEFY feel to it. But the picture quality is what matters the most. Limited with funds I have to stay in this particular area and level of camera. I have thought of the 50D or d700 by Canon. ANY THOUGHTS ON THE THREE CAMERAS WOULD BE APPRECITED. I thinkt the biggest thing the T2i has going for it is the 18 mgs. Why Nikon is stuck in the 12.3 mg range for most of it mid range cameras has me going. Once agin any thoughts on the camera to go with and why would be greatly appreciate.

AS I stated I do like this first shot that I can SUBMIT.

arash_hazeghi
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
I am not sure of your settings, too small aperture (you get diffraction blur and don't need so much dof and your shutter speed will drop).

Overall IQ is lacking in this one, has a paintery look maybe too much noise reduction, too much sharpening, or a huge crop (?)

Lance Peters
06-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi Vince - I would not get caught up in the megapixel race - really just marketing hype.
Thats a slippery slope on which you are standing - I highly doubt in this day and age with the current state of digital camera's that swapping from one brand to another or even another model in the same brand is going to make a MASSIVE improvement to your photography.

IMHO- You need to cover the basics - It's not the camera - Its the operator - Great images can be made with ANY camera - IF you know how to drive it!!!

In our studio we use D700'S and even D90's at times and Print up to 30x40 inch prints for our clients from these 12 megapixel files.
Heres a link to our studio work http://www.murraystudios.com.au

Do you think there is not enough detail or sharpness in any of those - all 12 megapixel images!!

Lance Peters
06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Interesting read here also

http://www.bythom.com/blame.htm

Dave Mills
06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi Vince, Lots of detail lost in the image and was wondering if it is a large crop. Also you shot this at 1/100 sec and the slightest movement by the bird will also cause some softness.
Agree with Lance regarding megapixels where 12 MP's can handle very large prints. I've gotten good quality 20x30's with less.
Also agree that I've seen terrible images shot with great cameras. Very often it's the operator and knowledge of their equiptment and technique which makes great images...

Alfred Forns
06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi Vince Good advice from previous posts !!

One thing that jumps at me here is the settings, would go wide open to minimize the bg and raise shutter speed !!

Most models will give you good quality, price gains features like faster rate, different custom functions, different af etc. but no need to go there !!! Can do just fine with just about any Nikon/Canon !!!

VinceRossi
06-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I looked at your site and I think it is great. My problem with the D5000 has been solved...it has been sold and I am sold on the Canon T2i. I purchased it and was out shooting with it today. Nothing having to do with birds. I must say I am very happy and pleased that I have made the choice to switch. I realize the facts of camera and photographer and don't claim to be any where near A good photographer. However, I do know what I like and there is such an obvious difference from what I was getting out of photos verses what I have shot today. I was out with 2 fellows who were using D50's and my photos (quality) were equal to if not better then theirs...their opinion. I realize I have a lot to learn and will keep on trying. I thank you for your input and opinions. Today was the first day in a long time I actually enjoyed myself shooting and getting the results that i have achieved.
Hopefully with my new found enthusiasm I might become a better photographer.

VinceRossi
06-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Yes it was a large crop.

Megapixels wasn't the main concern of my photos. It was the overall quality and richness I wasn't getting with the Nikon.

WIlliam Maroldo
06-11-2010, 11:06 PM
No one has mentioned that the most important thing is a high quality lens. This is by far the most important aspect of avian photography, and camera bodies have much less to do with creating great images, certainly much less than the camera manufactures try to get us to believe. Easy of use, special capabilities such as servo AF, large sensors, high frame rates, are all nice, but technical skill can often make most of them unnecessary. However, nothing can not make up for poor optics of a lens. One more thing-increasing sensor size (more megapixels) can actually can make images worse if not using a high quality lens. Any lack of sharpness or other imperfections will be magnified! my $.02. regards~Bill

Lance Peters
06-12-2010, 12:11 AM
No one has mentioned that the most important thing is a high quality lens. This is by far the most important aspect of avian photography, and camera bodies have much less to do with creating great images, certainly much less than the camera manufactures try to get us to believe. Easy of use, special capabilities such as servo AF, large sensors, high frame rates, are all nice, but technical skill can often make most of them unnecessary. However, nothing can not make up for poor optics of a lens. One more thing-increasing sensor size (more megapixels) can actually can make images worse if not using a high quality lens. Any lack of sharpness or other imperfections will be magnified! my $.02. regards~Bill

Do agree Bill - but wont matter what lens you have if you dont understand the basics to start with.

WIlliam Maroldo
06-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Lance, you are correct. A firm understanding of the basics also makes it possible the use of manual exposure, in which the photographer chooses aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Not only does aperture priority, shutter priority, exposure compensation, and metering itself become unnecessary, but "educated" guesses of the photographer who has a good understanding of the principles are often more likely to create good images than guesses of the camera's software.
This also makes the majority of features of cameras not necessary, and differences between brands less significant. The problem with inferior lenses is that even though camera settings and technique could be perfect, there is no way to know this since the resulting image is not sharp. My opinion of course. regards~Bill