PDA

View Full Version : Small Hopper

Paul Lagasi
06-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Today I went out with my macro lens again, the grasses were alive with new insects.
This little guy let me get real close, in perfect light. I wished I'd managed to get the tail in focus.
I checked in my books but still can't come up with a name.

D300
105 macro 2.8 Nikon
iso - 640
f 7.1
1/400
ap. priority
spot metering
vr
handheld

Julie Kenward
06-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Really nice, Paul! I agree you got perfect light and the diagonal of the grass is terrific. I don't think you could have gone much lower in aperture without getting all that grass in the BG but maybe a small step to the right would have put the grasshopper more square to the focal plane of the lens? Still...a very nice image!

Ken Childs
06-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Paul, you already hit on the only thing that would have made this shot better. I love that BG!

Good luck on getting an ID. These 'hopper nymphs can look completely different from the adults.

Allen Sparks
06-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Very nice image. Love the detail on the head. I agree a different shooting position may have helped with getting more of the subject in focus

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Hey Paul,
Definitely a keeper but your self assesment was right on! Jules was right on with her recommendation too.....a more parallel to the plane image is critical at the shallow DOF's....would have given you that extra touch of aparrent sharpness w/o sacrificing the sweet BG!

Paul Lagasi
06-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks all for comments..