PDA

View Full Version : Ophrys drumana x insectifera

Karl Günter Wünsch
06-09-2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.my-photohome.de/kgw/2010-05-08-0222-ns.jpg
Hybrid between Ophrys drumana and Ophrys insectifera, one of about 15 plants to be found near the camping grounds of Rochefort-Samson in the Drome region of France. Canon 7D, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM @ f/9, 1/8 sec, ISO 100, tripod, reflector.

Greg Ruckert
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Great composition. Fabulous DOF to get not only both full frontal and profile in focus but also the buds above. Similar colours in the background give the impression that it is part of a field full of them rather than distracting from the prime subject. The web adds to it. Love it.

Julie Kenward
06-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I also like the DOF here - it's so hard to get wild orchids in focus like this without getting all the BG distractions - you've really done a nice job! I do feel like the stem/leaves feel a little over exposed (or maybe it's the yellow tint to them?) Are they really this light compared to the dark flowers?

Karl Günter Wünsch
06-10-2010, 02:51 AM
I also like the DOF here - it's so hard to get wild orchids in focus like this without getting all the BG distractions - you've really done a nice job!
I have to agree, it's often that the background is too close to attain this kind of pleasant separation.

I do feel like the stem/leaves feel a little over exposed (or maybe it's the yellow tint to them?) Are they really this light compared to the dark flowers?
Yes, the stems were unusually lightly colored but my editing might have contributed a bit to this as well as I have slightly shifted the mid tone balance towards the right...

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi Karl,
I see your exlanation on the lightness...so revisiting that will definitely help. For me....the main focal flower is a bit too soft. Now looking at the specs....it may be from the slow SS......you could have easily gone to a faster SS by upping the ISO to 200 or even 400 on the 7D.....why risk wind movement? I think you did very well isolating the flower from the BG.....so trying a few f-stops by sacrificing the ISO is also something worth exploring when in the field....and debating which you like best when you get home!

Karl Günter Wünsch
06-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi Karl,
I see your exlanation on the lightness...so revisiting that will definitely help. For me....the main focal flower is a bit too soft. Now looking at the specs....it may be from the slow SS......you could have easily gone to a faster SS by upping the ISO to 200 or even 400 on the 7D.....why risk wind movement? I think you did very well isolating the flower from the BG.....so trying a few f-stops by sacrificing the ISO is also something worth exploring when in the field....and debating which you like best when you get home!
Which is exactly what I did but it turned out that I didn't need a faster shutter speed as I waited for the pauses in the slight breeze. Still I selected from a range of shots at different apertures and ISO settings - the problem being that the fine subtle detail present on the main flower (which after a shower was immaculate, without any of those pesky little pollen that normally litter any flower immediately after opening) doesn't translate well from 18Mp to the 0.4mp of the presented image...