PDA

View Full Version : Witchity, Witchity, Witchity!

Bill Dix
06-09-2010, 02:02 PM
D90; 80-400 VR @ 370mm. ISO 400. f/7.1, 1/1250s. -0.7 EV. HH. Large crop.

Another from Brigantine recently. Sun was strong, but histogram looked good except where red channel was blown slightly on the throat. Tried a technique suggested a while back by Al: opened a second file in RAW, with a -1.5 stop exposure adjustment, and inserted a Multiply layer over the throat area. Worked in from the edges of the small sample area using gradually diminishing opacities of the Eraser to blend in the patch. Desaturated yellows a bit. Not sure I understood the technique completely as it translates into PS Elements, but it seemed to work. Tried to move to a better position to minimize the reeds, but he didn't stick around long. C&C appreciated.

Peter Farrell
06-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I hate going first...
I'm sure the experts will comment on the mixed lighting but i like the spotlight effect on the head.
A very nice pose and perch, tough to get these guys out in the open. The reed at the tail does not bother me as much as the one at the mouth. Rest of the BG looks good.
Peter

Harold Davis
06-09-2010, 06:20 PM
that's just a tough shot all around! light did not help. contrasty, harsh and created shadows on the bird. it's too bad because you got a great calling pose and a decent perch!

Lance Peters
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
that's just a tough shot all around! light did not help. contrasty, harsh and created shadows on the bird. it's too bad because you got a great calling pose and a decent perch!

Well said Harold - can t add anything else to that!!!

Dave Mills
06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Bill, great subject in an animated pose. The light is a bit contrasty but I've seen alot worse. The biggest issue I have is the reed coming out of the bird's mouth. Good attempt at a difficult enviromental image....

Bill Dix
06-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Just for fun I've tried to remove the offending reed, and reduce the contrast, plus a bit of s/h and dodging. This still doesn't solve the issue of a large crop and uneven lighting, but thought I'd try. If you didn't know the reed was supposed to extend above his head, would you miss it?