PDA

View Full Version : Totem Pole Dunes

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2010, 12:25 PM
This was perhaps the most boring day cloud wise on my recent tour to Arches and Monument Valley. Clear blue skies after the stormy and windy day before.....great for the sand as it cleared the footprints...not so much for getting the sky in the image. I have photographed these dunes many times.....wish I had clouds this day, but the sand was absolutely the best I ever had. I love it when the bird guys tell me how easy it is:D!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lenas at 25mm for 1/3 sec. at f22 and ISO 100. Circular polariser and all tripod mounted w/Graf studioball head and bubble level in hotshoe.

Dave Mills
06-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey Roman, Great light,strong leading lines,minimalized sky,with bush adding interest to the middle ground and framed between two formations. Nice job!

Robert Amoruso
06-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I agree with Dave. Is that a bit of motion blur on the bush - if so, very cool.

Kobus Tollig
06-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Really great image well done. Why f22.....I would say this might cause you to loose IQ. Don't thing f22 is great on the 17-40?

ken dyball
06-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Love the colours in this one Roman, well done

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks all!

Hey Kobus,
Sorry....instant e-mail notification is out....I use f22 for max DOF most of the time.....I tend to stay at at least f16......I don't tend to put much stock in references to IQ on lenses......mine seems fine....but just like camera bodies....there are slight variations in all....even the same model....so judging/knowing your equipment is key. I don't see any noticable IQ loss at f22.....same goes for my macro at f32.

peter delaney
06-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Great image Roman,

love the way the image is divided into 3 layers with something of interest to view in each....
to be honest I think clouds would have taken away rather than add impact...

peter

Harshad Barve
06-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Though I dont have experties on Landscapes , this is eye-pleasing image , lovely colors and sand pattrens looks good to me

I love it when the bird guys tell me how easy it is:D!

Ofcourse :D:D:D:D:D

Harold Davis
06-12-2010, 09:55 AM
nice contrast in the sand! love those shadows. for there not to have been any clouds, i think the light made up for it. nice job, RK!!

Morkel Erasmus
06-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Roman - great tones and compo...agree with Peter that clouds would've taken away here.
Is it just me or is there slight S/H haloing around the edges of the totems? :)