PDA

View Full Version : Green heron

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/11098852-lg.jpg

Same setting as my last post. a slightly different shooting angle though.

40D. 400 f5.6L wide-open. iso 640. 1/160s. exp. comp +1. hand-held. cropped from horizontal. I could have made a horizontal crop...but on the left side there was one very distracting OOF grass blade in FG. I think this crop works well too.

This is a favorite species of mine to shoot. nice colors and gives nice poses. I see myself spending a lot of time on them this summer.

All C&C welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey Kaustubh,
well....this is where they like to lurk and hide.....so for an environmental standpoint....I think you captured the feel or that very nicely. I would seriously try toning down the blade of grass out the back and perhaps even the lower horizontal one.....but as far as conveying the sense of place.....this works for me!

Juan Aragonés
06-09-2010, 10:35 AM
I like this kind of images that show part of th especie´s habitat. Composition works very well for me with those all sharp reeds in the foreground and the combination of colors they show. The pose of the heron looks great and I love the eye contact and bill pointing to the left. I am wondering about how this image would look with even more room at the bottom and left ;)

Axel Hildebrandt
06-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I like the crop, light and setting and agree with Roman on either toning down or removing the yellowish blade of grass 'sticking out' of the bird's left wing.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I like this kind of images that show part of th especie´s habitat. Composition works very well for me with those all sharp reeds in the foreground and the combination of colors they show. The pose of the heron looks great and I love the eye contact and bill pointing to the left. I am wondering about how this image would look with even more room at the bottom and left ;)

Juan, I dont have this exact one cropped as you suggest. But here's another pose that I cropped a little wider. slightly different shooting angle as well. I always try subtle changes in my shooting angles. This one does not have the bright blades issue. And I included the caterpillars that he seems to be looking at.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/11098074-lg.jpg

Fabs Forns
06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Both are nice, KD, I think if you add a darker vignette around the subject, it will keep the viewer's attention more on the subject, with slipping out of the frame.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Thx for taking the time Fabs.

Thx everyone for the good advice.