PDA

View Full Version : caracals

ken dyball
06-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Taken in Nov 2009 Masai Mara Kenya, a rare sighting mum on the left & full grown cub late afternoon light (sorry wrong image posted)

Nikon D700, 400mm 2.8 1.7 converter, 1/320, f/8

www.africanatureimages.com

Steve Kaluski
06-09-2010, 02:19 AM
A nice image Ken, love the light with good detail and to have two...

For me the crop/position is just too central, would prefer less on the lhs and more on the rhs, however it's the lack of space below for the 'virtual' legs that is my main concern.

Michael Hogan
06-09-2010, 02:20 AM
Lovely image, light is brilliant. Pity they were not looking at you but I know it is difficult to get 'perfect' shots of uncommom species, just lucky to get a shot at all.

Wll done

Michael

ken dyball
06-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Hey Steve you don't miss anything, here is the one that was meant to go on had a few on the desktop:o i dont mind them in the middle they are worthy!!

Hi Michael, i have them looking at me on a few images, but i prefer they look away like i'm not there, this is more natural looking, this is what i wait for:) thanks for the post.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Rare sighting. The repost looks better with more space at the bottom. You may tone down the highlights in the neck area. I don't mind them looking in different directions. Just that spacing becomes tricky. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
06-09-2010, 06:29 AM
I must admit that I find this a little too red, but nevertheless it is a fine image of an animal rarely seen in daylight.

Harshad Barve
06-09-2010, 06:55 AM
I liked the repost very much , excellent image
TFS

ken dyball
06-09-2010, 06:58 AM
I must admit that I find this a little too red, but nevertheless it is a fine image of an animal rarely seen in daylight.

Ken, these cats are a very rusty in colour nothing like a lion or lynx (or it could be my screen)

cheers

DanWalters
06-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Very nice. I like the surrounding grass and the intense stare from the one on the right. Plus I really like the way the light brings out the eyes.

Ken Watkins
06-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Ken, these cats are a very rusty in colour nothing like a lion or lynx (or it could be my screen)

cheers

Ken,

My comments on the colour come from my own somewhat limited viewing once in daylight and three times at night.

Here is a link to one of my images

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61698&highlight=caracal

ken dyball
06-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Ken,

My comments on the colour come from my own somewhat limited viewing once in daylight and three times at night.

Here is a link to one of my images

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61698&highlight=caracal

Hey Ken, would be of intrest to me were you seen that caracal in 2007 (what part of the Mara?) Brian Freeman told me about one in 2007 as well, could have been the same one, i seen andy in a 4wd in 2007 the driver asking me were the Hyena pups were, maybe you were in the car that day as well??

Ken Watkins
06-10-2010, 03:43 AM
Ken,

Whereas I may know where I am in many parts of Africa, I have absolutely no idea when it comes to the Mara.
This was one of a pair, we never saw Hyena pups so I presume we were not with Andy that day, he did do two trips and we were on the second.