PDA

View Full Version : Who ever said "practise makes perfect" was

Raymond Barlow
06-09-2010, 01:20 AM
full of S**t!!

Birds in flight always seem difficult, I host these workshops and struggle to get sharp images! I am trying to get in shape for the Newfoundland Workshop coming up in August... those Puffins might be even more difficult!

Captive bird.

PS.. late note.. I did add some canvas on the right side, and also a small motion correction.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/rammy111111/DSC_5880Red-tailedHawk1018.jpg

Desmond Chan
06-09-2010, 01:39 AM
full of S**t!!

Birds in flight always seem difficult, I host these workshops and struggle to get sharp images! ...

Hey Raymond, you really mean it? If even you find it difficult, then I suppose it IS difficult.

I would like to hear what other experienced photogs' thought about "Practise makes perfect" is full of **** :) Personally I think at least it should help improving your handling of the camera.

This image as presented looks sharp and well-exposed. Head-angle may be off a little but not sure. 200-400 handheld?

Joe Senzatimore
06-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Image seems a bit tight in the frame. Might also try to lighten some of the dark areas on the wings. Love the eye contact and wing position. Fine job on exposure as well.

Tony Whitehead
06-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Looks nice and sharp with good plumage detail. I might reduce the green cast on the far underwing.

Raymond Barlow
06-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Hey Raymond, you really mean it? If even you find it difficult, then I suppose it IS difficult.

I would like to hear what other experienced photogs' thought about "Practise makes perfect" is full of **** :) Personally I think at least it should help improving your handling of the camera.

This image as presented looks sharp and well-exposed. Head-angle may be off a little but not sure. 200-400 handheld?

Well, the point I am making, with my typically harsh sense of humor, is that no matter how much I try, I miss tons of shots, and there is no such thing as perfect!

Yes, 200-400 hand held... not sure what you mean about the head angle, what would you suggest?

thanks!

Raymond Barlow
06-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Image seems a bit tight in the frame. Might also try to lighten some of the dark areas on the wings. Love the eye contact and wing position. Fine job on exposure as well.

Thanks Joe, your right, a bit tight., on my monitor (laptop) the wings look good as the light was head on to the bird., I never use flash, and I only do some burning / fill light when things are way off! But I do appreciate your suggestion, and did not even notice this issue myself! That's why I like this forum, good advice.

Raymond Barlow
06-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Looks nice and sharp with good plumage detail. I might reduce the green cast on the far underwing.

Great tip Tony, I did not see that also!, thanks !

Jim Fenton
06-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Ray..

The HA detracts on this one for me as the bird is looking away.

Some shadows / highlights work is needed to open up the back portion of the front most wing and there is a definite green cast on the underside of the far wing which needs correcting.

It does appear too tight in the frame.

Nobody gets BIF images in focus all of the time pal and practice certainly helps a lot.

You just need to post the optimal ones :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Raymond, liked the wing position. I actually like the head angle as it conveys the "predator surveying the surroundings for prey" story. Thx for sharing.

Jim Neiger
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
What is difficult now will become much easier with LOTS of practice, if you practice the right things.

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey Raymond,
I feel everyone above captured my feeling of the image regarding the HA and colors already so will just chime in with the practice comment......I remember the first time I tried BIF at Bosque many years ago.....using slide film......when I got the 90 rolls back.....I almost threw up.....had a handful of keepers. This past December I led a workshop there....in one hour I had more/better keepers than I had on that first trip......so while practice doesn't actually make perfect (I don't believe that actually exists.....can always improve).....it does make me feel less like throwing up nowadays:D.

Juan Aragonés
06-09-2010, 10:43 AM
... that no matter how much I try, I miss tons of shots, and there is no such thing as perfect
Wellcome to the club Ray :D by the way, practice makes things a lot more fun :)

I do not mind about th ehead angle but agree that th ebird is a bit tight in the frame and about the green cast in the wing. The light is a bit harsh but, in my opinion, sharpness and techs are very good.

John Haig
06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't know if practice makes perfect, Ray...but I do believe it improves the odds of success. I spend a lot of time shooting stuff I'm never going to show anyone so that the occasional happy mistake makes me look semi-competent.
I've been loitering near my purple martin house much of the past month, shooting birds as they come in and leave...practicing my technique and experimenting with high speed sync flash fill....99% of the images have been deleted, but I'm getting better. Besides, it beats mowing the lawn.

Raymond Barlow
06-09-2010, 03:03 PM
good points everyone!

yes, practice helps with any skill., but the point is, practise does not make perfect!

it is more of a joke then anything., thanks for the comments.

If I had moved to the right a bit more, the angle would hae been better, but it was crowded over there, so being the host, I let everyone else have the prime spots.

As for the shadows, I like them., I like to leave the light alone as much as possible in my images, doing the best i can on site.

Raymond Barlow
06-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey Raymond,
I feel everyone above captured my feeling of the image regarding the HA and colors already so will just chime in with the practice comment......I remember the first time I tried BIF at Bosque many years ago.....using slide film......when I got the 90 rolls back.....I almost threw up.....had a handful of keepers. This past December I led a workshop there....in one hour I had more/better keepers than I had on that first trip......so while practice doesn't actually make perfect (I don't believe that actually exists.....can always improve).....it does make me feel less like throwing up nowadays:D.

Yes, practice and better cameras help!, and they will get better! When I was shooting film, I was dreaming of good bird photography! and did not even consider it as being a hobby.

thanks Roman.

Fabs Forns
06-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Very nice flight and yes, I believe doing flight is like typing or paying piano. If you don't practice, you loose the touch and speed :)

Stephen Stephen
06-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Ray I liek the arched back in this full down stroke image. You and everyone else have made some great points here about practice. I remember not too long ago that I couldn't seem to ever create a reasonable bird in-flight image but things have improved.

I still think that I'm the master of the "Empty Branch" photo. :D

I know that the right lens helps a lot too. I normally use my Sigma 50-500mm 98 % of the time but Jim Cumming, a good friend of mine, loaned me his Canon 400mm F5.6 L lens one morning and I couldn't believe the number of keeper inflight images what I was able to create in just a short period of time. The lighting and wind direction was right but the focus of that 400mm was very quick which allowed me more opportunities than normal.

Doug Brown
06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
It doesn't take long to lose your flight touch. But I'm a firm believer that practice pays huge dividends when it comes to flight photography. Doing a flight workshop is also highly recommended! :D

Sid Garige
06-10-2010, 02:24 PM
What is difficult now will become much easier with LOTS of practice, if you practice the right things.

Key to success. Well said Jim.