PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Water Lilies

Roman Kurywczak
06-08-2010, 04:45 PM
OK.....took this at longwood a few days ago. My wife says it looks like 2 images.....I happened to like the grouping! The leaf is partially submerged and I used the flash to make the water lilies pop.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro at ISO 640 at f32 for 1/200sec. flash at 0.

Julie Kenward
06-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I like the grouping, too, but I would LOVE to see the one on the right alone and filling the frame as well. Great contrast and clarity, Roman. I'm not sure I love the partially submerged leaf on the right because it confuses me - if I didn't have your explanation I'd be wondering about it. As a grouping, I like how the leaves go to opposite sides/opposite angles. Wonderful!

Greg Ruckert
06-08-2010, 07:07 PM
My mind can't come to grips with the water line. The leaf on the right looks as if it has been added in later. How far away from the flower on the right is the leaf?

Roman Kurywczak
06-08-2010, 07:23 PM
My mind can't come to grips with the water line. The leaf on the right looks as if it has been added in later. How far away from the flower on the right is the leaf?
Hey Greg,
cool name...just had to say that a it is my sons name! You want to know the truth?!!!.....compositionally I knew this was a huge risk! I wanted to share with you all that I too question the "rules" and yet.....no real answer besides I like it! I always tell people I don't want justification.....I want you to explain......my only answer is the light, the light, the light! It wasn't so much about the flowers as it was the dramatic light!.....but here is the question I always give myself and hopefully give you to ponder......is that enough? Don't get captured in the moment you took the image.....step away...and be impartial! This may not work in many venues......and I can disassociate myself from the moment (not easy!).....this one still moves me! I don't expect it to work for everone!....heck...my wife didn't like it!!!!.....another very good point to contemplate....agree or disagree with me......satisfy yourself first!.....but you must look hard within!
I really wanted to show you all that I also struggle with what is accepted......and what I like!

Mike Moats
06-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Hey Roman, great comp and love the details, have to agree with Greg on the waterline, it has a unusual look.

Roman Kurywczak
06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Sorry....missed the distance answer......about 4 inches (above water part, the rest going under).....blowing in the wind.

Ken Childs
06-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Roman, I agree with your wife. I opened this up in PS and cropped out 2 very pleasing images although that waterline issue definitely hurts my brain. How can the waterline be both below and above the flower? :confused:

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Roman, I agree with your wife. I opened this up in PS and cropped out 2 very pleasing images although that waterline issue definitely hurts my brain. How can the waterline be both below and above the flower? :confused:
Isn't the wife always right:D. I did actually take these individually too....now, the leaf....the underwater park is actually close to the stem....4 inches max....the lit green may be 12 inches.....it was a blowin in the wind......make sense?......now let me go tell the wife she was right;).

Nick Palmieri
06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Disagree...I like it as presented! Yes there appears to be some rule breaking. The water looks funky, 2 main subjects...okaaaaayy....but the color of those lily's against the black water and green lily pads, everything sharp make this image really special. If you saw a group of water lily images and this was one of them you certainly would stop and say WOW. My only suggestion for improvement would be to put the one on the right a little more behind the one on the left but I would take it as presented.

Greg Ruckert
06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Roman, never said I didn't like it. Have spent longer looking at this image than any other on the forum. Stretching the brain is supposed to be good for delaying the onset of dimentia so I might even suggest that this image may have medical application. I now believe that the issue for my mind is difficulty in trying to discern the waterline on the near side of the leaf. This creates a problem trying to perceive the distance of the leaf from the flower.