PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Photography from a canoe

titus.ebbecke
06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

One week ago we got our canoes. Now i think to take my camera gear on the canoe, but I very scared. Im 14, so I canīt buy a new gear, if we overturn. We drove canoe 10 times before and I never overturned before. Her is my question, is it too dangeorous to take the gear on the canoe?

David Stephens
06-08-2010, 01:37 PM
You're right to consider the potential loss of your equipment and weigh it against the shots you might get that you otherwise might never see. Many of us shoot from canoes, kayaks, slippery rocks, etc. and we all fear for our equipment. Mine is insured. Yours may be also. Check with your parents to see if their policy might cover your equipment and investigate the cost to add it if it's not.

Landing and getting in and out of a canoe is the most dangerous time for your equipment. You might consider investing in a waterproof backpack for carrying your equipment to and from and in and out of the canoe. Pro quality bags of this sort are not inexpensive, but many outdoor photographers eventually invest in them. While you're saving, you might simply use plastic garbage bags for transfering the equipment in and out of the canoe. Don't pull your camera out until you're seated and well balanced.

Dave

Fabs Forns
06-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Titus, a lot of people take even long lenses on canoes, just be careful. Next month we will be doing that too. I guess you can take a protective case like a Pelican, but this would only work when you are not using it.
Just BE CAREFUL and enjoy your two hobbies :)

Jamie Strickland
06-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I take my 500L out in the canoe with me and handhold it, but I would not go out in it with someone else though :)

Chris Hansen
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I really enjoy photographing from my kayak and a small boat. i have captured images i would never have taken from shore or on a larger boat. One option that you might consider is adding some stabilizers or outriggers to your canoe. Just do a search there are a lot of companies and DIY ideas out there.

Good luck and God bless,

chris

Axel Hildebrandt
06-08-2010, 03:31 PM
You could practice first with some piece of wood to get comfortable and to see if entering or leaving the boat is difficult. Once you figured that out, you should be fine and as said above, you could get some waterproof bag.

Viel Spaß!

Alfred Forns
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi titus For a canoe would get a pelican case to put your gear, will be safe and easily available. Remember there is lots of dripping from the paddles so the gear has to be put away. Those cases can be thrown in the water !!

If the case is not a good option, there are lots of dry bags you can use. Just figure out a system that works for you !! Will be fun shooting from the boat !!

Connie Mier
06-08-2010, 06:49 PM
You won't tip your boat over, unless you make a big mistake. Use a pelican case, and have all gear locked inside when getting in and out of the boat to be safe.
I shoot priimarily from a canoe, so I know how excited you are about that. Read more here, my website is devoted to paddling and photography: http://cmierphotoandfitness.net/Canoephoto.html.

Danny J Brown
06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I just purchased a Wilderness Commander 120 hybrid kayak/canoe for photographing in Ozark streams. I load and unload with everything in a Pelican case as mentioned above and then open it and get the equipment out after I'm safely underway. I take the 300/4 on streams but I'll take the 500/4 on small lakes.

DB

Danny J Brown
06-08-2010, 07:39 PM
You won't tip your boat over, unless you make a big mistake. Use a pelican case, and have all gear locked inside when getting in and out of the boat to be safe.
I shoot priimarily from a canoe, so I know how excited you are about that. Read more here, my website is devoted to paddling and photography: http://cmierphotoandfitness.net/Canoephoto.html.

Connie - I read your entire website and found it interesting and informative. Also, some nice images. I really liked the one of you in the canoe with the storm clouds on the horizon.

Later - DB

titus.ebbecke
06-09-2010, 10:24 AM
thanks all for the answers. My father got a waterproof bag, too and I tried to make shots from the canoe before out the water in my garden (I got some nice shots of blackbirds ;) ). I think I will use a tripod the velpon Geo N630. And here is my next question. Is the tripod waterproof, too?

Titus, und vielen Dank Axel.

Connie Mier
06-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Connie - I read your entire website and found it interesting and informative. Also, some nice images. I really liked the one of you in the canoe with the storm clouds on the horizon.

Later - DB

Thanks Danny, I appreciate it. I'm glad you particularly liked the storm cloud photo, because I took that shot!:)
Also, I checked out your website and enjoyed your Grand Isle photos very much. Made me very sad, unfortunately.

Connie Mier
06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
thanks all for the answers. My father got a waterproof bag, too and I tried to make shots from the canoe before out the water in my garden (I got some nice shots of blackbirds ;) ). I think I will use a tripod the velpon Geo N630. And here is my next question. Is the tripod waterproof, too?

Titus, und vielen Dank Axel.
Titus, I've landed a tripod and ballhead into the salt water and while it is not water proof, it still works fine. In a boat, I see no problem with it in that regard. I've tried setting up my tripod in the canoe while sitting the canoe on land. I secured the legs to the thwart and that seemed to work well. The only issue I had with it was it could not be placed low enough for my comfort. I felt the heavy ballhead raised the center of gravity way too high for my comfort. In short, I didn't like it, although I never tried it out on the water.

Per the photo above, I have a friend who attached a monopod to a base support and then glued that to is boat. He can remove the monopod at any time.

titus.ebbecke
06-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Ok thanks, If the weather is good, I will take some photos from the canoe this weekend.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Ok thanks, If the weather is good, I will take some photos from the canoe this weekend.

Let us know how it went.

Troy Lim
06-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Titus, I got my waterproof bag for my kayak for $15 each (50L, big bag)
Good luck.

titus.ebbecke
06-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Hi guys, Last sunday I went out with the canoe. But there were only normal ducks, nothing special. But we didnīt fell into the water ;)

Jamie Strickland
06-15-2010, 07:44 AM
thats good news :) I was out in mine last weekend as well to photograph some loons and had no problems other than paddling for a few miles lol