PDA

View Full Version : Western Tanager

Steve Large
06-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have been having a bit of trouble this year getting close to these guys. Here is a shot that was not posted from last year. Every time I go out hunting them I end up with a Barred Owl :D.

Stats: Canon 50D, 500mm + 1.4X, ISO 250, F/8 at 1/40 of a second, Flash used but could not find the setting (Possibly -1.3?).

Thanks for your comments.

Steve

Don Hamilton Jr.
06-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Steve, what a great problem to have!! Love the colors and the capture!
Don

Daniel Cadieux
06-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I like the pose and perch. Good BG, but the light area touching the head and neck is distracting. Sharpness looks great for that SS...but I'm wondering why you didn't opt to raise the ISO? The flash has somewhat negated the backlighting...enough to make it work IMO. A small dust bunny needs cleaning at bottom :-)

Glenda Simmons
06-08-2010, 02:45 PM
What a beautiful bird! Nice sharp image. If only he had landed on a pretty flowering branch, for you. Daniel covered the technical issues, and as Don mentioned...I would love to have the same problem!

Juan Aragonés
06-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Steve I like the pose of this guy and the inquisitive look a lot. Very good job with the backlight and fill flash. In my opinion, a bit more room at the bottom would work even better. :)

Jim Crosswell
06-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Nice shot of this colourful bird. I would remove the bright area at the head and neck area as well.

Steve Large
06-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Everyone,
Sorry I have been tied up lately and not had time to get back to you. Thanks for your comments and I agree that perhaps I can use less light on the back of the head. Here is the re-post with change in light and dust bunny removed :-)

Thanks,

Steve