PDA

View Full Version : Great White Egret (high key)

Phil Ertel
06-08-2010, 11:42 AM
This image was created in Orlando Florida at Gatorland on June 6th during Robert Amoruso's workshop. This is pretty much straight out of the camera. An overcast sky provided an excellent opportunity to produce high key images. I did add a small amount of canvas to each side as the wing tips were too close to the edge for m taste. The only other editing I did was a slight curves adjustment adjustment. Conversion in ACR and of course the normal processing for displaying on the Web.

By the way, Robert's workshop was very enjoyable and educational. He was very helpful and patience in working with me to improve my photography skills.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Camera: Canon 50D
Lens: 70-200 mm IS USM + 1.4 x
Focal Length: 270 mm
Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure: 1/6000 s
f-stop: 4.0
Flash: Fired, fill-flash at +3 (if memory serves:confused:)
Handheld

Fabs Forns
06-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Very strong diagonal, would be stronger if you crop some off the top, making the diagonal straight across the frame. I think it's too overexposed, to the point of almost loosing all the wing borders.
Could you elaborate on the use of flash?
Because 1/1600 rarely would overexpose so much unless you had a real high ISO, and you don't mention that. Were you using the Better Beamer? IF so, that could be the culprit for the overexposure because you were under 300mm.

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi Fabs,

The +3 Exposure Compensation on the flash was to produce the very white high key affect on the bird and combined with the overcast exposed to the point of clipping creates this affect. It is a technique I taught in the workshop. The look is not for everyone however but it is one I happen to like as I noted to participants during the workshop. If you like it, try it. If not, dial down the flash and expose more traditionally.

One of the images I showed looked just like this with the wing tips bordering on blending with the sky. I think Phil did a good job in the JPG conversion to keep them just visible.

Phil,

I agree with Fabs that a crop from top to make the wingtips point to each corner will strengthen the diagonal substantially. I do understand why you cropped it this way leaving room for the bird to fly into, but in this case, a graphic interpretation of the geometry (diagonal) is warranted.

Good job on the technique. Of course you can guess I like it. :)

Fabs Forns
06-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Sorry, I didn't know that was a technique. It just looks overexposed to me :o
I guess you could count me as one that doesn't go for it.

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Sorry, I didn't know that was a technique. It just looks overexposed to me :o
I guess you could count me as one that doesn't go for it.

I figured that much. Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Phil Ertel
06-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi Fabs and Robert, Thanks for the feedback. I agree with the cropping suggestion and have attached the image with a bit taken off the top. I appreciate the the discussion on the use of flash as I am still a little wet behind the ears when it comes using it. I kind of liked the effect but I understand your view point Fabs and will keep it in mind next time. It is always good to get varying options and I am grateful for the time you and the others take to comment. Thanks again Robert for a great workshop and for our comments Fabs.

denise ippolito
06-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Phil, I love this. The high key look and the amount of details retained make this special. I love the hint of color and the artistic appeal of the image. Well done.:)

James Shadle
06-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Phil,
What was the distance between the flash and subject?
Did you use a better beamer?
James

Alfred Forns
06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Without seening the image itself on a computer would be unfair to say one way or another.

Using flash for white birds at -1 within the effective range of the flash will do away with most detail, just take two successive images of the same bird and compare with/without. Difference is apparent, can't imagine what three over would do to the bird's detail.

For the given example even using the BB flash had little if any effect on the exposure since the output at 1/1600 is cut way down. The white appearance comes form the exposure setting which for this image should have (and was) set for plus two or more.

If you want to overexpose the bird with flash (don't recommend) set your shutter speed at 1/500 or less to have the proper flash output.

Phil Ertel
06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi James,

I missed going out with you this year and standing in the water (no spoonies at Gatorland). I thought about standing in the water for a better angle at the workshop but thought better of it:eek:.

Answers to your question (sort of).

What was the distance between the flash and subject?
The distance to subject according to the metadata was 14.5 m (47.6 feet). sadly, most of my birds in flight images did not fill the frame as this one did. Depending on your taste/perfernce on this flash technique, I was either lucky or unfortunate:o.

Did you use a better beamer?
As far as the beamer is concerned I am guessing I did. Although overcast, the light was pretty bright and when the flash did not firer the underside of the birds were quite dark (for my taste at +1 or +2). Therefore, I was trying to get as much light out there as I could. I stated that I am guessing because in this same time frame I was taking the fresnel screen off and on as I was working a juvenal snowy egret that just off the board walk. I have to admit that I was not always fast enough in changing settings and equipment between opportunities:(. I realize it would be better to work one subject and move on but, I felt like a kid in a candy store as it was such a target right enviroment;)

Hopefully I have answered your questions. If not just holler!

Phil

James Shadle
06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks Phil,
"I thought about standing in the water for a better angle at the workshop but thought better of it:eek:"
No guts, no glory - in this case it would be no legs.

Amazing how far a flash will be affective when used on a white subject.
Where did you learn this technique:)?

Phil Ertel
06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi James,

If you're referring to my my deficient attention span and lack of short term memory, it is a God given talent from birth:D.

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey Phil,
Well count me in as one of those that likes the look! Very effective and has an artistic feel and look. I use the method for some of my high key flowers! Agree not everyones cup of tea....just another tool to play with!
Repost with crop works best for me! Very nicely done!

Arthur Morris
06-17-2010, 09:28 PM
While I like the look, the whites of the bird are overexposed as a histogram check shows readily.

Arthur Morris
06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Sorry, I didn't know that was a technique.

In your husband's post below, he talks about how the flash output is cut drastically when you are using High Speed Synch. Setting the flash here at +3 is just another way to get lots of flash while using high shutter speeds. So yes, it is a valid technique. I do believe that the overexposure of the bird was caused by an incorrect setting for the ambient light. I do not see the ISO anywhere.

I do recall seeing many similar images--high key white birds with flash--the were created either by you or by Al. And in the back of my mind I recall teaching it at a Saint Augustine Alligator Farm workshop that you both attended years ago.....