PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl Banking for Attack Run

Ken Scheben
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
http://www.westisliphockey.com/Birds/Snowy-Banking-Above-Snow.jpg

First BPN Post

Struggling to find workable snowy owls down on Long Island, NY this winter, Bob Ettinger and I made the long drive up to Ottawa this weekend to increase our odds of capturing some decent images of this species. Saturday was a dark, snow-filled day full of high key captures but Sunday was windless and without a cloud in the sky. First light resulted in this photo of a beautiful and cooperative bird. This individual snowy has a particularly low angle of attack and actually scrapes his wing tips on the snow as he banks to line up his attack run on a prey item. Bob and I had a terrific weekend and it will take quite a while to sift through all the usable shots. I would encourage anyone from the states looking to make the trip up to try these owls to contact Marc Latremouille, an Ottawa local and terrific photographer, and have him take you to them for the day....you won't regret it. This was the most fun I've had out with my camera in quite some time! Drop me a note if you are interested in contacting Marc.

Canon 1DM3, 70-200 f4 IS, ISO 500, 1/4000, f5.6, Manual mode, Exposure set by incident meter minus 1/3 for highlights

Note: this bird was lured in using a mouse

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Great flight shot,i really like the light,composition and wing position,nice work Ken!

Daniel Cadieux
03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I live in Ottawa and still haven't seen gone to see these guys!?!? Great composition and the fresh snow is nice. Although I love the sparkling snow I would be tempted to either clone out or tone down the larger ones near the top.

Michael Borcherds
03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I have just fallen in love with these guys since I joined this site - spectacular birds. Awesome capture, so sharp & great exposure control - congrats & looking forward to seeing some more?

Ken Scheben
03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I live in Ottawa and still haven't seen gone to see these guys!?!?

Dan,

You've got to get out to see them before they go back up north! You're only 45 minutes away. For me, it is a 9 1/2 hour drive. I wish I could get back up there this year but it just won't work out with my schedule.

Ken

Ken Scheben
03-03-2008, 11:40 AM
...looking forward to seeing some more?

Absolutely....there are plenty more coming!

Ken

peter delaney
03-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I agree with Michael I love the beautiful images on this site of this magnificent bird..please keep them coming.....:)

Stu Bowie
03-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Absolutely brilliant. Great comp, and you have exposed this excellently. Very well captured.

Fabs Forns
03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Great welcome, Ken, terrific first post!!!

So you hang out with Bob :eek::eek::eek:

Love the image, I would either include the whole shadow or get rid of it. Great exposure and pose. Maybe next year for me....:)

Len Maltese
03-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Look who took a road trip! Well worth the trip. Nice work Ken

Ted Busby
03-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Lovely angle; light and exposure..Congrats on your capture; while visiting and meeting Marc (an All Around great guy)