PDA

View Full Version : Play Time

Gail Cordes
06-07-2010, 07:16 PM
I captured this image during our recent trip to Tanzania. Ed took an "almost" identical picture except he was using a 300 mm prime and since we were so close he cut off the tail of the right hand cub. If you look at the two side by side, they were taken with a millisecond of each other! The expressions, mouth positions, and leg positions are less than real life inch different! This is a perfect example of the utility of a zoom lens over a prime.

7D, 100-400 at 115, ISO 1600, f5.6, 1/320, EV +1/3. This was taken during the evening twilight on our way back to camp in the Ngorongoro Crater. Image is about 80% of original. Noiseware Pro applied.

Ken Watkins
06-07-2010, 11:54 PM
I like to imagine how this would look if the central cub were looking the right way or not blocking the rear cub, it would have been a corker:)

Proof that a zoom is very useful in vehicle based wildlife photography in Africa, where you cannot change position easily.

From the images so far it looks that you had a great trip.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-08-2010, 01:15 AM
I agree. I think you had a fabulous trip. I agree that a zoom has got its utility and gives flexibility in composition. I agree that the face of the cub is being blocked by the one in the middle. However, you had no control over it. If you were positioned more to the left, then you would have lost the open mount on the right, as that would have been blocked by the middle one. :) You got some nice playful behaviour. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
06-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Hi Gail

Most points already covered, however I just wonder if you had started shooting sooner on a lower Rapid fire setting whether you might have capture the moment better, ie having the cubs head in view and the other female about to pounce/bite on the other? Would lose a fraction off the top IMHO.

TFS
Steve

Grant Atkinson
06-08-2010, 03:56 AM
Hi Gail, well done with your capture. I use a combo of a 300 fixed lens, and a 70-200 zoom, for my wildlife photography in Africa, and I miss many shots when things get too close, too quickly. Sometimes there isnt even time to put down one body and grab the other. I think you did a really good job here with what was obviously low light and capturing action.
TFS
Grant

Marc Mol
06-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Great action image Gail, very nice colour. Would prefer a less squarer crop, 3:2 would have been preferable.
TFS

I use a combo of a 300 fixed lens, and a 70-200 zoom, for my wildlife photography in Africa
Grant

I'm with you Grant, except a 500 f/4 prime and a 70-200+1.4tc.;)

Alfred Forns
06-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi Gail Got to like that zoom ... and it performs !!!

Great point on the motor drive on high, best chance of getting the perfect angle you want. Do like it as presented and would only take some from the top !!!

DanWalters
06-08-2010, 07:48 AM
I like the action and the fact you can see some of the lions eyes on the left side.

Ed Cordes
06-08-2010, 10:28 PM
OK I have to comment. Gail, I am proud of you for getting this image. Since you got the full tail on the right it is much better than my image of the same scene.

Your photography has come a long way in a short time.:D:D

Harshad Barve
06-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Stopping by to add congratulations , excellent image
TFS