PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Daggers at night, ICF 2010

D. Robert Franz
06-07-2010, 11:55 AM
From the recently completed Images for Conservation Pro-Tour of Nature Photography contest. Judging is now done and I can post some of my images. I made this image just after midnight of the first day of the contest.This image was submitted in my landscape portfolio.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Date/Time: 2010:04:01 00:15:45
Shutter speed: 30 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
Lens: EF16-35mm f/2.8L USM
Focal length: 16mm

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2010, 06:19 AM
I like that. Interesting that you have motion blur on the trees in the BG but not on the Spanish Daggers. I like the look of the sky, the sweeping clouds and the illumination on the horizon on the left which I assume are city/town lights.

Did you try any extreme wide-angle shoots like a fisheye up close and a lot of sky - might have looked cool too.

Good luck in the contest.

D. Robert Franz
06-08-2010, 07:41 AM
I like that. Interesting that you have motion blur on the trees in the BG but not on the Spanish Daggers. I like the look of the sky, the sweeping clouds and the illumination on the horizon on the left which I assume are city/town lights.

Did you try any extreme wide-angle shoots like a fisheye up close and a lot of sky - might have looked cool too.

Good luck in the contest.

The BG trees are mesquite trees and have delicate branches and blow around very easily. The FG yuccas are pretty stout. My ranch was surrounded by 8 radio towers from 300 to 800' tall 4 water towers, numerous power lines, a football stadium, a high school with tall lights etc. It was nearly impossilbe to get a clean comp with horizons showing. Of course no cloning is owed so I had to work with what I had..... I did shot vertical and liked it very well also.

Dave Mills
06-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I also like the comp where the yuccas are plainly dominant. I like the fact they are offset with the sky adding another element. The soft illumination in the backround is having a tendency to add to its interest.
I looked at the specs which stated the flash was off. How did you get the yucca so illuminated? Another light source?

Roman Kurywczak
06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Hey Dale,
Very cool! Light pollution is was very well handled....almost looks like a moonrise!
Good lluck with the contest!

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2010, 04:12 PM
very interesting scene here Dale...looks like you made the most of it

I also live in an area where there's a plethora of ugly man-made structures frustrating landscape compositions :)