PDA

View Full Version : Damselfly-how would you crop this?

Julie Brown
06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Canon 5D MK II, 300mm f4L IS + 1.4X TC, ISO 400, 1/160sec @ f10, 0 EV, manual exp, pattern metering, HH

PP: LR 2.6
cropped about 20% from top and left
set black and white points
enhanced clarity and vibrance
adjustment brush: brought down highlights in wing
post-crop vignette
Nik software: Dfine 2.0; ColorEfex Pro; Sharpener Pro

I think this is a Superb Jewelwing, but could it be an Ebony Jewelwing?

C&C appreciated!:)

thijs broekkamp
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Nice fresh colours! Would crop alot, not sure if it's sharp then. Crop from the left, with some space on the right. But i think next time you must get some closer.

Ken Childs
06-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Julie, this looks overly bright to me. If this were mine, I'd try taking down the yellows a bit to see what you get.
As for cropping, I'd probably crop off the right half and the bottom third.

I can't say for sure but I think this is a female Ebony Jewelwing.

Roman Kurywczak
06-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Julie,
This may be one of those cases where you needed less DOF because of the lens you were using! As Thijs mentioned getting closer would definitely have helped but even with a crop, the BG stalks that cut through the wings are distracting. Going to f7.1 or 6.3 may have helped there. When approaching this type of subject I always look at the BG more than I do at the actual subject! I check the angle of the subject first and then as I approach I look for the best/cleanest BG I can get with the subject as close to parallel to the plane that I can get! Not always easy as these are rather skittish but if you nail one at the correct angle with a great BG.....you will be greatly rewarded! I'd say focus on the top left quarter frame.....that was wher the image shines.

Julie Brown
06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Thank you for the suggestions Thijs and Ken. My original decision on the crop was to show the environment. For the repost I cropped tighter, brought down the yellows in LR by 50%, and the brightness in the wing by 25% in Viveza. Finally another round of NR in Dfine 2.0. What do you think?

Thijs-I was able to crop this some more because the 5D MKII rocks!
Ken, thanks for the ID help. I wasn't sure because of the brown eyes. You were the first person I thought of to know this.

Julie Brown
06-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Roman, I reposted before I read your comment. I agree that those grass stalks are distracting. I usually do shoot more open to blur the BG, but my thinking on this was optimizing the light and to get more detail from head to abdomen. I also tried not to get too close and not scare it off.

Thanks for the tips. I will go back to this park and practice what you have suggested!:D

Alfred Forns
06-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Julie The original is well composed and pleasing, would keep one just like that !! Re post looks very good and show the fine detail in the bug !!

Julie Brown
06-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Thank you Al. I do like both of these myself!

Anita Bower
06-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree with Al, though in the original post the greens seem a bit bright/light. I like the crop because it allows me to see the beautiful details. Good job.

Julie Brown
06-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Anita. I desaturated the yellows for the repost.

Julie Kenward
06-07-2010, 11:53 PM
I also like both crops here! One gives a more environmental feel but the other really shows off those details! Agree that the top post is a bit bright in the yellows.

Julie Brown
06-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the comment, Jules. I need to pay more attention to white balance when I start post-processing. It helps to have people point these things out.

Roman Kurywczak
06-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey Julie,
Repost works well....I'd still work on those grasses in th BG.

Mike Moats
06-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Hey Julie, I like both images. The first is nice just as it is. The second also works well.