PDA

View Full Version : Pre dawn catbird

Randy Stout
06-06-2010, 09:28 AM
I was at Wolf Fish hatchery looking for the yellow headed blackbird when I came upon this nicely posed fellow. It was just before the sun came over the horizon, and I didn't have my gear out when I saw him. I very slowly got my gear out, mounted it on the tripod, checked my settings and was able to get off about 10 frames before he finally left.

Although the bird itself is pretty monochromatic, I like their subtle beauty, and thought the leaves in the background added a nice punch of color to the image.

D300 500mm f/4 with 1.4 TC EFL 1050 f/5.6 1/60s Manual Exp. Gitzo/Wimberley

Post: Selective sharpening of bird selective curves adjustment of leaves (they were too bright)

Advice always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Fenton
06-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Like the bird a lot...they have always been one of my favorites.

What detracts from this IMHO is the "milkiness" in the background behind the OOF leaves and that OOF right branch. Was there something light colored either in front of or behind that area?

I also would have liked to have seen the sharpening carried down through the perch the bird is on.

Randy Stout
06-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Jim:

My guess is that there were other light colored leaves behind the colored leaves. I suspect I can reduce that effect somewhat without losing their contribution.

I would estimate I had about 20 seconds once I got set up to shoot this guy. Wish I could have moved a bit to reframe him.

Thanks for the input, appreciated as always.
Randy

Randy Stout
06-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Jim:

Here is a slight rework, toned down the lighter areas by the leaves, sharpened the perch.

Thanks again.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
06-06-2010, 10:20 AM
I like the attentive pose, soft light and composition. The repost looks better on my monitor, sharpness is very good and the plant in the BG is not distracting.

Ilija Dukovski
06-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Repost is excellent, great detail and excellent pose.
You got the red undertail, not easy with this bird IMO.

Fabs Forns
06-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Very sweet and excellent repost. I like the touched of colors from the leaves, way to go.

Arthur Morris
06-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Well done and another vote for the repost. I would crop from the bottom from just above the water droplet. I like the BKGR and the pose.

Stu Bowie
06-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Randy, super pose, and I like the fluffiness of this little guy. The repost does look better, and the inclusion of the colourful leaves looks good.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Randy, liked the repost more and agree with Artie on this crop suggestion. Liked the orientation of the bird w.r.t the camera. Very ncie work.