PDA

View Full Version : Merops Apiaster

marco peschiera
06-06-2010, 06:36 AM
http://www.Peschieramarco.com/_ImgForumbirdphotographers.net/GruccioneInVoloMark4.jpg
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM, Hand helded
Iso: 800, Focal: 400mm, 5.6, 1/1500, Manual exposition.

IMPORTANT: This image is at 3000x2000, so i had this bird very close...

More on Merops Apiaster on http://www.peschieramarco.com/gallerie.htm?ID=81

Axel Hildebrandt
06-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Banking pose, food item and eye contact look very good. Did you clip a wing and went for this crop because of it?

marco peschiera
06-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks for comment.
Yes, I clip a wing and went for this crop because of it. :D:D:D

Jim Fenton
06-06-2010, 09:04 AM
The exposure and sharpness are perfect...and you captured excellent eye contact.

Crop works fine for me and draws more attention to the head and that lovely red eye :)

marco peschiera
06-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks Jim for the picture,

A question about crop :
A crop of 3000x2000 is almost NOT a crop !! I still can print this picture at 1m long with optimal quality.
Do you agree with me ?

thanks

arash_hazeghi
06-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Very nice image, great flight pose and food item adds more

No sure if I undrestand your point about crop, a 3000X2000 pixel crop is 37.5% of the full frame image from a 1DMKIV file. It means that you have thrown 62.5% of the image away, so it is definately a crop. Sure if it is sharp you can make large prints but if that is so why did you choose to crop the wings? If the wings exist in the original would be better to include them.

Giulio Zanni
06-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Ottimo Marco dove l'hai fotografato?

marco peschiera
06-06-2010, 03:20 PM
thanks Arash.
I agree with you. The point is that i didn't take the lower wings in the picture. They are too fast ( for me at least) to catch them so close. ( in this picture it was at 10 meter maximum - flying FAST , VERY FAST)

Hope i can get one full !!

arash_hazeghi
06-06-2010, 03:22 PM
thanks Arash.
I agree with you. The point is that i didn't take the lower wings in the picture. They are too fast ( for me at least) to catch them so close. ( in this picture it was at 10 meter maximum - flying FAST , VERY FAST)

Hope i can get one full !!

Oh, I undrestand now, the lower wing was clipped and then you clipped the upper one for composition, that makes sense now. Did well, they do fly fast.

The other trick is that you could re-build the lower wing using the upper wing ;)

marco peschiera
06-06-2010, 05:57 PM
To everybody may i ask you which is the best lens for catch these birds in flight ?

Arthur Morris
06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Spectacular bird, pose, bug, head angle, and sharpness. And still lot of pixels....

Please post the full frame original with the clipped wing.

marco peschiera
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Wow ! Thanks Arthur ! What a honor to have you interesting on my foto !!
The original JPG ( I shoot RAW+JPG ) is at this address:
www.Peschieramarco.com/_ImgForumbirdphotographers.net/IMG_1834.jpg
And another shot more sharp but with more clipped wing is : www.Peschieramarco.com/_ImgForumbirdphotographers.net/IMG_1835.jpg

I just bought your MARK IV user guide ! I will learn a lot for sure:)

Marco

Arthur Morris
06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Wow ! Thanks Arthur ! What a honor to have you interesting on my foto !!
I just bought your MARK IV user guide ! I will learn a lot for sure:) Marco

My pleasure Marco. I just wish that I had time to comment on every posted image. I worked a repost using the stuff from Robert O'Toole's APTATS I. (I did not know that I was working with a huge file :))

In any case, thanks for posting it and thanks a ton for your membership support.

Arthur Morris
06-07-2010, 03:32 PM
The BKGR is a bit uneven :o I was concentrating on the missing part of the wing :)

marco peschiera
06-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Wow ! What a PS !!
You create the lower wing cutting to the top wing, flip verticaly, paste in a new layer and put it in the right pixel.
Wow !! I even didn't think on somethink like that.

I just bought your markIV user guide. Amazing some info.

Arthur Morris
06-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Wow ! What a PS !! You create the lower wing cutting to the top wing, flip verticaly, paste in a new layer and put it in the right pixel. Wow !! I even didn't think on somethink like that.
I just bought your markIV user guide. Amazing some info.

You are correct on the techniques as far as you went. But the flipped section of the wing had to be rotated, transformed, and warped. Those techniques are all covered in APTATS I. I did use some Layer Masking techniques; they are covered in Robert's APTATS II. With practice, we can all learn to think digitally. Sometimes we need to think digitally while we are in the field so that we can create an image to serve as a source for material to repair another image. (That was not the case here.)

Glad that you like the MIV User's Guide. If you have a question on one of the C Fns, please post it in the Photography Gear Forum here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13 and send me a link :)

Arthur Morris
06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
ps: Though the wing repair would not likely stand up to scientific scrutiny it is beautiful and would like sell well to a variety of magazines....

marco peschiera
06-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks Arthur,

Speaking with the most famous BIF photographer, is absolute a pleasure !

Arthur Morris
06-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks Marco. :) While I am a pretty good bird photographer there are way too many much better than me with flight photography.... Like you!

marco peschiera
06-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Please don't speak BS! Let's speak about C.Fn of mark IV in the other forum

Arthur Morris
06-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I do not BS anyone.... I am a bit busy now. I will get to your question at some point.

BTW, thanks a ton for your membership support; did you join today?

marco peschiera
06-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Ok, thanks,
I joined 3-4days ago because i love this forum.
Everybody always help you, explain, correct......
Thanks Arthur and the moderators...

Just a little think: I had 100 posts about and 4 days ago somebody cancel me all the posts ! Why ?

Marco