PDA

View Full Version : Got Wood?

Troy Lim
06-06-2010, 05:58 AM
I was out yesterday photographing Juvi Bald Eagles, but they were not very cooperative. 3 Wood ducks showed up rather quickly, did not have much time to change position to get a cleaner view/better angle.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1303/4672328547_d4b96aae6c_b.jpg

Manual
Camera: Nikon D700
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/2000)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 700 mm
ISO Speed: 1100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash

Randy Stout
06-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Troy:

Nice wing display, and the foot up for landing is neat. You don't see a lot of wood duck pictures of them landing in trees.

The image is held back by the lighting/shadows and the massive trunk and limb behind and beside the bird.

I would have taken the shot too however.:)

Cheers

Randy

Troy Lim
06-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Troy:

Nice wing display, and the foot up for landing is neat. You don't see a lot of wood duck pictures of them landing in trees.

The image is held back by the lighting/shadows and the massive trunk and limb behind and beside the bird.

I would have taken the shot too however.:)

Cheers

Randy

Randy,
I agree. I knew this will only be one of those shots to keep just for your file. I like the way the duck landed, wings. The tree is way too big for it. They were brave, landed on the BE's perch. :)

Alfred Forns
06-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Hi Troy

Agree with Randy's comment and would have also kept for files ... might try in PS using the shadow/highlight tool. I had abandoned its use since it gave more problems than it was worth but in CS5 seems to be different.

Troy Lim
06-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Hi Troy

Agree with Randy's comment and would have also kept for files ... might try in PS using the shadow/highlight tool. I had abandoned its use since it gave more problems than it was worth but in CS5 seems to be different.

Waiting to see what Apple will upgrade on Monday, then will get a new machine and CS5.

Jim Fenton
06-06-2010, 09:06 AM
It's kinda cluttered, there are some shadow issues, but there is a lot of good stuff that would have made me keep this as well.

The woodie in the wood is great, I like the landing pose and there some neat curves and angles going on with the tree in which it landed.

Troy Lim
06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
It's kinda cluttered, there are some shadow issues, but there is a lot of good stuff that would have made me keep this as well.

The woodie in the wood is great, I like the landing pose and there some neat curves and angles going on with the tree in which it landed.

Jim, hopefully I can get cleaner shots next time. :)

arash_hazeghi
06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi Troy,
I like the pose but other than that this one doesn't really work, shadow on the head and huge limb in BG distract a lot. Good keeper for your records but not for your portfolio.

Troy Lim
06-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi Troy,
I like the pose but other than that this one doesn't really work, shadow on the head and huge limb in BG distract a lot. Good keeper for your records but not for your portfolio.

Arash, yeah, definitely just a keeper for fun. :)
I will have some mandarin ducks to shoot soon. Can't wait.