PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Rocky Mountains

Meesh Fink
06-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi,

I've been a DSLR user for a year and a half now, and am in the middle of rearranging my gear to better suit birding. :D I decided to try out wildlife and birding photography with Oly last winter, got hooked, and just ordered a 7D + 400 f/5.6 + 100-400 + 1.4x to augment my gear. The 500 f/4 will likely be the next purchase. Most of my images have been of perched birds (or still wildlife) using MF lenses, I am looking forward to having a great AF setup for winter when eagles are active here.

To keep my bio short and sweet, I am a software engineer by trade, hobby farmer and gardener by occupation, and amateur photographer by addiction. I live in SW Colorado.

I am known on some other photography forums as mco_970 :D

Cheers,
m

Lance Peters
06-05-2010, 06:42 PM
hi - Big warm welcome - looking forward to seeing some images with your new gear!!

Meesh Fink
06-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Lance, nice to meet you. :-)

Alfred Forns
06-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Big Warm Welcome Meesh !!! Hope you will get your long lens soon !!! ... btw the 400 5.6 works well with the converter (manual focus only) Looking forward to your images !!

Meesh Fink
06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Big Warm Welcome Meesh !!! Hope you will get your long lens soon !!! ... btw the 400 5.6 works well with the converter (manual focus only) Looking forward to your images !!

Thanks Alfred. I have been really enjoying the Oly EP2 + OM 350 for manual focus photos - it will be fun to try the OM 350 on the 7D, also. :D

David Stephens
06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Meesh, welcome to BPN. The Rockies covers a lot of territory. I'm just South of Denver and shoot two or three days per week at Cherry Creek State Park, which is surprisingly fruitful.

If you tell us more specifically where you are I'm certain that other members will give specific advice on where to look for the birds that interest you. The 400mm f/5.6L is a great lens for birds and birds in flight.

Dave

Ian Cassell
06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Welcome, Meesh! I am a 7D user and I just got the 400/5.6 a couple of days ago (thanks to Arash). I'm loving it and am sure you will too!

Meesh Fink
06-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi Meesh, welcome to BPN. The Rockies covers a lot of territory. I'm just South of Denver and shoot two or three days per week at Cherry Creek State Park, which is surprisingly fruitful.

If you tell us more specifically where you are I'm certain that other members will give specific advice on where to look for the birds that interest you. The 400mm f/5.6L is a great lens for birds and birds in flight.

Dave

Hi Dave!

I am south of Durango - way out in the boonies. :) Fortunately there is a nice marsh and pond on the back forty acres, so lots of opportunities just out the back door. I hope there are some members nearby - that would be fun.

Cheers,
Meesh

Meesh Fink
06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Welcome, Meesh! I am a 7D user and I just got the 400/5.6 a couple of days ago (thanks to Arash). I'm loving it and am sure you will too!

Thanks Ian! So far, I'm extremely impressed with what the camera and lens can do. It has been fun shooting everything that moves. :D Dragonflies, hawks, vultures, herons... What a blast!

Harold Davis
06-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Meesh, big welcome to BPN!! looks like you are getting off to a great start with all the new equipment. Eager to Learn (ETL) is a great place to get started if you have questions about your bird photography!!

Harold Davis
06-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Meesh, btw, if you are on facebook, look up birdphotographers.net and become a fan....or LIKE!!!