Av mode
1/25"
F2.8
ISO:100
LR & CS3

Shot indoors with natural window light.

Julie Kenward
06-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Beautiful colors, Ken! You just reminded me that two of my tiger lilies bloomed today - I've got to get outside and shoot them!

I like how you chose a very selective focus for the tip of the stamen but I think I'd prefer that the entire "fuzzy" end area were all in focus. I create these kinds of images a lot and always wish I had taken it down another notch in aperture when it's all said and done. Very nice lines and the comp is sweet. As I said earlier, you have really made some strides in the artistic side of your photography lately!

Ken Childs
06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks, Jules.

I did take shots with smaller apertures but with the BG so close to the stamen, even a change between 2.8 and 3.5 had a surprisingly big effect on the look of the BG. Maybe next time I'll try bending them away from the flower so I can use a smaller aperture.

Anita Bower
06-06-2010, 07:31 AM
The colors are lusciious!! The stamen is positioned to divide the colors. I don't mind that the entire anther is not in focus. The part that is in focus is the tip and it is really sharp. My only suggested change would be with the composition--I might take some off the top and left. I am enjoying your images!!

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Hey Ken,
Swwweeeeet!!! Great use of the selective focus and I am fine with how much is in. I did look at Anita's cropp suggestion....and while I like the idea (never too shy with the crop tool:D)....I am perfectly fine with this as presented.

You are going to make me go out and try the shallow DOF's aren't you?

Alfred Forns
06-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Love the limited dof and simple elegant colors !! Just right for me !!!

Ken Childs
06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
You are going to make me go out and try the shallow DOF's aren't you?
Can you feel me twisting your arm? :D

Blame it on BPN. I hadn't tried this shallow DOF stuff until I joined up and saw some of the great things being posted in this forum.

sandy richards
06-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Simple, elegant, and compelling!
Great colors and perfect dof.

Sandy r