PDA

View Full Version : White Peony

Jackie Schuknecht
06-05-2010, 10:44 AM
This peony was closing up for the evening.
f16
40D
AV Mode/ Manual Focus/ +1 1/3
Cloudy WB/ ISO 400/ 1/4 s
100mm/ 25mm extension tube
Suggestions Appreciated

Jackie Schuknecht
06-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Another version where I darkened the ULC and and left the yellows as is. Not sure which version I like better.

Julie Kenward
06-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Jackie, I like the 2nd version where you darkened the corner a bit. I find myself wishing more of the white on the right were a bit in focus. It works as an abstract but I'm struggling with it as a floral image because of that reason. I do like the pop of color at the ROT's position, though.

Anita Bower
06-06-2010, 07:26 AM
I am fascinated that darkening the white resulted in making the yellow look lighter. Before I read the second post, I thought that is what you had done. I prefer the second post. I'm thinking that if that whitest petal had a straighter edge, like the others, this would work better.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Anita I actually desaturated the yellows by 1 point in the first, the darkening may have made it pop more in the second (not sure). Thanks for you input. I appreciate it.

Ken Childs
06-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Jackie, I like the way the yellow peeks through but the right side of the image just doesn't feel like it belongs there. Maybe a vertical crop of just the left half would work better.

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Hey Jackie,
Like Ken I felt the right was a bit out of balance but before I reached for the crop tool, decided to try something....took just that right side larger area and did a selective color layer.....taking some black away from the white channel and adding black to the neutral channel (B/C may also work)......the added bit of depth there balanced the yellow a bit better for my tastes so I didn't feel a crop was then necessary. I used the repost for the tweak as it was my preference. Nicely seen and composed...given a peek into the peony!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Roman I like where you are heading, I might even lighten the left corner a bit more. (You have got me thinking). Thanks Ken for your suggestion too.

Alfred Forns
06-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi Jackie They all work in a different way, the slight density changes give a different look .. pressed to pick one would go with number two !!