PDA

View Full Version : American Badger

James Yule
06-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Took this tonight. We watched her bring a prairie dog into her den, then out she went into the sage brush. I set up with a large sage brush between me and her. I waited about 15 minutes and she returned. No food but she did pose nice. I still need to get my screen calibrated but this is probably close :)

Canon 7D
Canon 800mm IS 5.6
ISO 400

Ken Watkins
06-05-2010, 02:41 AM
What a beauty:)

Looks to be a little noise in BG, and I think you could do a little selective sharpening on the head, otherwise I love it.

Ken Watkins
06-05-2010, 02:52 AM
I hope you do not mind but I just had to have a go.
I ran some NR on BG, opened up the darker areas in levels,added a little vibrance and selectively sharpened.

Obviously starting with a JPEG has not added to the IQ.

Mike Lentz
06-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Very nice pose and the sage balances the comp! Good work on the noise cleanup too.

Rachel Hollander
06-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Nice image. I too like the comp and think that the repost improves it overall.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
06-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi James, I think Ken has really hit the nail on the head re some little tweaks and in fact if you look at it in PS it is even better. The images overall is a good one, love the composition and overall feel. Technically I think you have a good image, you just need to spent a bit more time in the processing side to get the full potential from your hard work. I think that if you flip the image the whole concept works, also added a fraction more USM too, always best to be looking in, rather than out.

Look forward to seeing more.

TFS
Steve

Steve Kaluski
06-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Interesting comparison Ken, with yours & mine. I just copied to the desktop, added a fraction in Curves, USM & flipped and processed in CS3 as I have not loaded it on the laptop yet, but it seems to have more vibrance, similar to yours when I opened it in PS, but on screen it looks a little flat?

Steve

Grant Atkinson
06-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi James
I really liked your low angle, and the effect that had on the BG. The badger makes for a striking subject, and you also captured her in an alert pose. I think you did well to capture an animal that doesn't pose too often, too easily. Steves last repost looks really good too.
TFS
Grant

Steve Kaluski
06-05-2010, 04:14 PM
To be honest Grant the credit has to go to the author, it's all there, it just needs some fine tuning. Personally I feel that a lot of images all have a huge potential, as the 'data' is there. It just needs the occasional TLC, or, a little more time & understanding on how to get the most out of the image. I am still learning and refining too. :)

Steve

Alfred Forns
06-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Great thread with excellent re posts !!!

.... James you do know hot to find them :) One tough critter !! Sweet look and love the setting !!!

Danny J Brown
06-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Wonderful shot of a most elusive and nocturnal animal. The boys really improved it with some post-processing, none of which was too intrusive to my sensitivity so I consider this one a job well done by the whole crew but especially to James!

Chris van Rooyen
06-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Lovely posture and background, overall a most pleasing image.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-06-2010, 11:15 AM
James,
Love the low angle. Nice pose. The background is nice too. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

DanWalters
06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Nice low angle and color. Like the vegetation on the left side. Helps balance the image.

James Yule
06-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the comments, I have no problem with re-edits they look great. I have been a Nikon shooter for 16 years, this is my first Canon body and I am just getting the feel for the images it produces.

Arthur Morris
06-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Amazing image of a tough photographic subject. I prefer Ken's repost to Steve's warmer one by a small margin. The darker eye could be opened up (in tonality) a bit more in each. The COMP is loverly with the bush balancing the badger.

Steve, I am quite confuse as to what your flipping the image has to do with anything at all, much less the concept... In each image the animal is looking towards the center of the frame...

Steve Kaluski
06-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I prefer Ken's repost to Steve's warmer one by a small margin

Actually Artie the file is exactly the same as Ken's, I never altered the Stauration/Colour balance in relation to warmth, there seems to be an issue re colour shift when Ken saves for web and posts

Steve, I am quite confuse as to what your flipping the image has to do with anything at all, much less the concept...

Artie, personally for me it seems to sit better within the composition being on the rhs and also how I have been brought up in how I view things. However, photography is all subjective and offering alternative views is all part & parcel of looking at images.

Steve :)

Arthur Morris
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks Steve, Re-saving JPEGs often messes with color and contrast. I still do not get the flipping business :)

Steve Kaluski
06-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Artie, it must be a 'British thing' and spending too much time with some of your UK chums.:)

Perhaps one day when I get over to your side of the pond I will try to expand.;)

Harshad Barve
06-09-2010, 07:21 AM
lovely image of beauty here ,
TFS

Harshad Barve
06-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Though I wont flip it if mine ;)

Aaron Lancaster
06-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Great capture!

I find it interesting the difference flipping the image makes...Very neat trick.