PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Seal & Pup

Andrew Merwin
06-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Mrk3, tripod, ISO 800, 700mm, +1ev, f/5.6, 1/80, aperture priority, ~50% crop, sharpened, minor curves adjustment.
I shot this image within an hour of dawn from a 200 foot cliff overlooking the bay @ low tide. It was completely overcast & drizzling rain between heavier rain showers. I had a towel covering the lens, camera, & my head while I was shooting this image. SS was very hard to maintain due to the weather & subsequent light conditions.

Ken Watkins
06-05-2010, 03:01 AM
I am in two minds about this.

The image is an interesting idea and the quality from 200 feet way is very good, in particular the pebbles below the water. Obviously it would have been better with less seaweed but there is little you could do about that.

What I find strange is the perspective, as I suffer from vertigo, I think this is influencing my judgement.

Steve Kaluski
06-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi Andrew, I have to agree with Ken on this, in both comp & distance.

I might suggest a really tight pano crop, cutting away all the debris above & below so the seal fins almost make each corner, bottom left/top right, however this might just be too much. might add a fraction more in Exposure, just to tone the highlights down a fraction? Still a tender moment.

TFS
Steve

Alfred Forns
06-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi Andrew Neat interaction and you did everything possible here .. other than getting to a different angle !! Might try toning down the litter seal then darken the corners to draw the eye to the center frame !!!

Andrew Merwin
06-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the good ideas. I will try them.
Andrew