PDA

View Full Version : Superb Parrot & Re-set Monitor

Ian McHenry
03-02-2008, 11:11 PM
I realise tail has been cut off but the reason for this post is to see how image appears on the monitors of others as I re-set mine and Gray Scale seems OK .
The re-edit was done following monitor adjustment.

Jim Poor
03-03-2008, 08:20 AM
To me, it looks too bright and over saturated on both my MacBook Pro 17" HD and My Mac Pro 30" monitors. Both recently calibrated, but I have more faith in the Mac Pro than the laptop.

Robert O'Toole
03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi Ian,
Overall the image looks okay except for a couple of minor areas. Well you picked a difficult image to use.
Some bark, just a few chips over the bird seems too bright and blown maybe.
Reds and yellows are always a display problem (really just a sRGB colorspace issue). On my PC monitor the top of the parrots head looks hot and over saturated but the rest of the bird looks okay. Oh and the orange/red collar looks oversaturated but then again that is a common problem with brightl plumage.

Overall the luminosity looks good but there are expected color channel problems.

Robert

Ed Okie
03-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Ian, colors appears appreciably "over the top" on my calibrated monitor, also. Saturation is one of the biggest culprits.
Check out a related recent discussion we've had on a similar theme:
Discussion Forum (http://birdphotographers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)<!-- END TEMPLATE: navbar_link --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: navbar_link --> > General Photography Discussion (http://birdphotographers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)<!-- END TEMPLATE: navbar_link --> > <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: navbar_link --> Rendering "red" correctly - is it possible?

Ian McHenry
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks Jim, Robert and Ed.
Ed: I've still to check out that thread but will do so. Appreciated.
The concensus is that image is oversaturated and I can see that myself.
I do have a tendency to over-saturate and over-sharpen so as they say in this part of the world I'll have to pull my head in !!!!
Have left monitor on previous setting but reduced Saturation by 5 points on FastStone Image Viewer.
Seems a bit more natural colour.
Ian Mc

Ian McHenry
03-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Ed
Your thread is very informative particularly about checking for overblown Reds.
Cheers: ian Mc