View Full Version : Lizard close up

OvidiuCavasdan
06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/COV_2006/Lizard.jpg
40D, EF 100mm Macro
F/13
1/30sec
ISO 640
Small garden lizard close up, garden setup, rocks and lured with mealworms.
Natural light, manual mode, tripod, s/h, levels, contrast, sharpening.

Ken Childs
06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Ovidiu, this is a great portrait of a Lacerta. The only changes I might make would be to brighten up the eye and try to even out that brown streak on the left side of the BG.

kostas nianiopoulos
06-04-2010, 03:36 PM
verry good close up of this lizard , i love those colors , well done Ovidiu !

Julie Kenward
06-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Ovidiu, you really outdid yourself here! I love the pose and the sharpness of the rock and lizard. Excellent! I added a few final tweaks to this to see what you think...

Did an auto adjustment in curves to bring up the BG just a bit. I masked back the rock so it stayed darker than the BG. You could always darken the BG a bit more if you wanted to further separate it from the rock but I kind of liked it lighter so I left it.

Selected his eye from the red rim in and did a separate curves adjustment so the reflection in his eye really pops!

Finally, I selected the lizards head, inversed the selection and then cloned over the stripe in the BG that was coming out of the lizard's mouth. I then selected a color from the BG and grabbed the paint brush, set it to about 50% opacity and lightly went over the rest of the BG just to even out the right side a bit more - especially along the right side of the frame where it gets a bit dark right at the edge.

See what you think. ;)

Paul Lagasi
06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Really nice coloration on this lizard, sharp..nice capture.

Mike Moats
06-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Hey Ovidiu, very nice portrait of this handsome critter. Love the nice sharp detail and BG.

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey Ovidiu,
Very nice capture and portrait....tack sharp and the tweaks recommended and implemented by Jules just take it up another notch.

OvidiuCavasdan
06-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Julie, good work on eye and BG, thanks. Seems that I have to learn much more about PP.
Thanks for comments.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Head is nice and sharp. Like the repost with brown streak removed, but liked it a little darker as in the original. Nice one Ovidiu!