PDA

View Full Version : Masai Mara Tree

ken dyball
06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
It was a gloomy looking afternoon most other photographers had headed back to camp due to the poor light, i was on my way to a Bat-eared fox den when this gap in the clouds opened up!

Nikon D700, 400mm 2.8, 1/1000, f/10, 1SO 320

www.africanatureimages.com

peter delaney
06-04-2010, 02:21 AM
love it, very well captured... hope you showed this to your fellow photographers when you got back to camp....when I spend time in the bush I have to be dragged back to camp kicking and screaming.....:)

ken dyball
06-04-2010, 03:39 AM
Yep me two, i stay to dark!!

glad you like it

cheers

Kobus Tollig
06-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Great shot but the comp does not work for me. I would crop it to pano. Still great work well done

Don Railton
06-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Hi Ken

I agree with Kobus somewhat in that I think you could crop a good inch off the top to add emphasis to the more interesting cloud at tree level. I has a nice mood...

DON

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey Ken,
I agree with the above comments regarding the top but went even further. In the repost i brought out that cloud with a combination of levels and selective colors layers (using The white, neutral and black channel)......and then cropped. Made for an overall more pleasing comp IMO but let me know how you feel about it.
I'm OK with the central placement of the tree as the cloud envelops it nicely....sweet colors too! I love that time of day!
PS You may want to saturate that cloud some but I left it white so you could see the more detail I brought out.

Dave Mills
06-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Ken,Roman's repost does it for me. You were very fortunate to see something like this and have a camera with you. Nice job in capturing a most dramatic image!

ken dyball
06-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi Roman

Thanks for that, but i was showing the scene how it really was, all the horizon black with just a small opening in the clouds, it was printed in a book with a slight crop of the top (about a inch) & i liked it, so maybe in between yours & mine would look ok:)

cheers

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Very dramatic clouds indeed. Love the tree being in the middle of the frame and the mood in this one. I would stay with a version between yours and Roman's.

Peter den Hartog
06-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Great display!

Another proof that one will be rewarded if you try harder! Well done.

P

Paul Marcellini
06-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I was first thinking crop as Roman did, but like the heaviness of all the dark clouds in the original. Wonderful image, I loved all the lone Acacias when I was there.

peter delaney
06-07-2010, 08:47 AM
have to agree with Paul, I prefear the OP , more intense than Romans post, and I find my eye being pulled to the whitish cloud ...

peter

Robert Amoruso
06-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I can go with either crop, but I would not bring up the brighter clouds as Roman did. Leave the clouds as in the original post.