PDA

View Full Version : Long-Legged Fly

Paul Lagasi
06-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Took this image today, very little light, was overcast and light rain. I didn't have a tripod with me, so I used VR, came out ok.

Its definately a Long-Legged Fly, not sure of the name though...anyone know?

D300
2.8 105 macro
f5.6
1/640
iso-640
ap. prior.
hand-held
vr on
cropped

Alfred Forns
06-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi Paul

Would tighten the crop some but came out fine for hand holding !! Like the overall tone and selective dof

Cheryl Flory
06-04-2010, 04:35 AM
was this on a hosta leaf?
gorgeous coloring and bg. I like how the fly blends in and yet is not lost in the bg. I also like how you can see part of the back leg through the wing as well as the other sharp details you have in this image. very nice.

Paul Lagasi
06-04-2010, 05:22 AM
No Cheryl not a hosta leaf (had to check internet to see what one looks like)...took image on a forest path, it may have been an milkweed leaf...
Thanks for comments.
Al, I'll try a bigger crop but was already cropped a fair amount, Thanks for comments.

Julie Kenward
06-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Very nice, Paul! I love the half in/half out of focus look here. I would suggest a pano crop - just a slice off the top and bottom would work. I also think if you want to stay fairly large here just a slight crop off the bottom would also pull the fly more into the ROT's vertically. Lovely image...soft and very natural looking.

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Hey Paul,
While generally I prefer more DOF.....I think you did great with the selective focus! You may want to punch the fly up a touch with a selective levels layer.....but I find I even like the crop too!!! ....rare for me, I know....but it gives a sense of how small these guys really are!

Ken Childs
06-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I like the overall feel of the shot and don't mind the shallow DOF but I would also like to see a little more punch on the fly.

Paul Lagasi
06-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Thank Everyone, for all the comments and ideas for this image. Can some one explain how to use the selective level layer feature?..thanks

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Thank Everyone, for all the comments and ideas for this image. Can some one explain how to use the selective level layer feature?..thanks
Hey Paul,
You can use the lasso tool or the magic wand or combo of both just to select the fly.....layer>new adjustment layer>levels (or any other method you choose ) and then make your adjustment.....immediately following blur the mask to eliminate hard edge....should see it visually but be careful not to get a halo!
You can also make this in the layers pallete (windows....check layers)....will be icon on bottom middle ...when you scroll over it it will say create new fill or adjustment layer.....hope this helps. Make sense?

Paul Lagasi
06-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Thanks Roman, after I tried it made lots of sense...will work on this image.

denise ippolito
06-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Paul, I was just passing through and this caught my eye. Nice looking BG colors and I love your selected DOF.

Paul Lagasi
06-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks Denise, I've been working ith my macro lens a bit more recently. New life is everywhere. thanks for comments.

sandy richards
06-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Really like the dof here, the placement of the fly, and the subtle, soft colors.
I, too, would crop a bit tighter if you can.

Sandy r