PDA

View Full Version : Peony B/W

Dave Mills
06-03-2010, 02:22 PM
While they are still blooming thought I would shoot them again today.
Nikon D300,200mm macro,twin flash,F29,1/20,o comp,iso 400,tripod mtd

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Hey Dave,
Not sure here....why?....leaning left but more room right (for the leaf of course.....but still)...and not sure of the black areas in the peony.....I know they are natural but looks more blotchy. Did you also use a reflector?

Alfred Forns
06-03-2010, 07:18 PM
.. got some nice tone and detail on the lower part of the flower, just having trouble with the dark part at the top .. would look different in color?

Desmond Chan
06-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I think a vertical or square crop may work, too. I prefer to see a tad more contrast and sharpness (based on what I see on my monitor).

Dave Mills
06-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi Roman, I did this today with twin flashes. Couldn't get the look I wanted in color so I thought I would convert it. The darker color on top is pinkish and (at the time) thought it added some contrast to the white. I guess it appears a bit muddy to some. Might need to go back to the drawing board on this one...

Julie Kenward
06-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Dave I think you have a great tonal range here - just need to pull up the pink/darker areas as everyone noted. Roman mentioned the comp/crop issue - I think if the flower were leaning forward instead of away it would strengthen it a bit. As it is, it almost feels like the leaf is the star of the show and the flower is fading into the BG. A different angle would probably solve both issues.

Love to see some b&w images, though! Bring 'em on!

Dave Mills
06-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks Julie,appreciate the comments...