PDA

View Full Version : Fields of Kent...............

Tom Dolezal
06-03-2010, 01:23 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_69I8198-Edit-2-2.jpg

After many days of overcast skies, we finally had a cracking day weather wise so just had to try and make the most of it.

Technical: Canon 1Ds Mk3, Canon 24 mm Mk2, f/11, 1/125 sec, ISO 100, -1 1/3 EV, AV mode, Singh Ray Colour Combo

C & C always welcome.

Appreciate you stopping in and looking - many thanks

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Hey Tom,
Compositionally this works nicely with the tracks leading to the lit field. I do think there may be a few PP'ing issues you may want to tweak....lightening the FG grasses just a touch and bringing out some more detail in the trees will really make this shine......not too much but just a touch more to keep the brightest area from dominating the scene. Hope this makes sense.

David Thomasson
06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
A cracking day for sure, Tom, and a very pleasing composition you've made here. Nice work.

I debated back and forth with myself about those tracks. Their lines do aid the composition, but they're not "naturally"
there. What to do! I decided to take them out and see how it looked. Mostly, though, just a lot of tweaking with curves
and such to bring out the feel of a sunny day.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3752/meadowf.jpg

Dave Mills
06-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Hi Tom,good job with the composition. The image looked underexposed to me and then I saw you were down 1 1/3 stops. Not sure if you were trying to create a mood but I think David's repost more accurately represents the scenes exposure. Regarding the tracks I could take it either way...

Katherine Enns
06-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Although I think lightening the sky a bit is a positive change, taking the sweeping tracks out is not IMHO. The tracks lead the observer into the field and off over the horizon. The second posting loses the feel of being drawn in, and is a bit too artificial looking. I like this a lot, I can almost hear the bees buzzing! Lovely image, wish we had your weather!

Tom Dolezal
06-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey Tom,
Compositionally this works nicely with the tracks leading to the lit field. I do think there may be a few PP'ing issues you may want to tweak....lightening the FG grasses just a touch and bringing out some more detail in the trees will really make this shine......not too much but just a touch more to keep the brightest area from dominating the scene. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers for your comments and suggestion Roman - very much still experimenting with that new SR filter and wanted to get a bit of a 'extreme' look to the image. A slight re-edit is:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_69I8198-Edit-2.jpg

Do you think this works better?

Tom Dolezal
06-06-2010, 01:57 PM
A cracking day for sure, Tom, and a very pleasing composition you've made here. Nice work.

I debated back and forth with myself about those tracks. Their lines do aid the composition, but they're not "naturally"
there. What to do! I decided to take them out and see how it looked. Mostly, though, just a lot of tweaking with curves
and such to bring out the feel of a sunny day.

Thanks for your comments and suggested edit David. I think the wheel tracks are going to be a question of personal taste - at the time I thought they gave a +ve to the composition, and seeing your edit with them removed I think a constructive compositional element has been lost.

Tom Dolezal
06-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi Tom,good job with the composition. The image looked underexposed to me and then I saw you were down 1 1/3 stops. Not sure if you were trying to create a mood but I think David's repost more accurately represents the scenes exposure. Regarding the tracks I could take it either way...

Thanks for your comments Dave as just answered above was looking to have a bit of a 'extreme' feel to the scene.

Tom Dolezal
06-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Although I think lightening the sky a bit is a positive change, taking the sweeping tracks out is not IMHO. The tracks lead the observer into the field and off over the horizon. The second posting loses the feel of being drawn in, and is a bit too artificial looking. I like this a lot, I can almost hear the bees buzzing! Lovely image, wish we had your weather!

Thanks for your comments Katherine - hope you like the re-edit. Unfortunately this is not normal Kent weather - 1st decent day of sun so far this year otherwise it has just been gloom and doom :(

David Thomasson
06-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for your comments and suggested edit David. I think the wheel tacks are going to be a question of personal taste - at the time I thought they gave a +ve to the composition, and seeing your edit with them removed I think a constructive compositional element has been lost.

I'm inclined to agree. As I noted in my post, I took them out just to see how it would look and wasn't suggesting that as an improvement. Were it my image, I would leave them in.

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Works much better for me Tom! I too would definitely leave the tracks.

Dave Mills
06-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Actually the tracks leave another element.As I said before either way is fine IMO.

PeterCollins
06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Cheers for your comments and suggestion Roman - very much still experimenting with that new SR filter and wanted to get a bit of a 'extreme' look to the image. A slight re-edit is:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_69I8198-Edit-2.jpg

Do you think this works better?

Nice to be able to enjoy some sunshine isnt it :)

I live just in kent and its been stunning recently, where abouts are you from?

Robert Amoruso
06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Tom,

I think your repost worked out just right. Great composition and tonality to the image.

Tom Dolezal
06-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm inclined to agree. As I noted in my post, I took them out just to see how it would look and wasn't suggesting that as an improvement. Were it my image, I would leave them in.

Thanks for popping back David.

Tom Dolezal
06-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Works much better for me Tom! I too would definitely leave the tracks.

Appreciate you stopping back Roman.

Tom Dolezal
06-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Actually the tracks leave another element.As I said before either way is fine IMO.

Appreciate the re-visit David.

Tom Dolezal
06-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Nice to be able to enjoy some sunshine isnt it :)

I live just in kent and its been stunning recently, where abouts are you from?

Cheers Peter - just have to make the most of it when we have some good weather. Located near Folkestone.

Tom Dolezal
06-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Tom,

I think your repost worked out just right. Great composition and tonality to the image.

Appreciate your comments Robert - many thanks.