PDA

View Full Version : Something Prehistoric

Cheryl Flory
06-03-2010, 04:15 AM
Something Prehistoric, this way cometh......

Canon 40 D
Canon 70-200
200mm
1/125"
F5.6
ISO 400
EC -.67

The only cropping was the oof 1/2 face that was in the original to focus on the leg. did some contrast on the leg.

Came upon this snapping turtle (hence the 200mm zoom!!) when she was laying eggs, which is why I was able to get her being out of their standard fighting attitude.

I didn't add any blurring to the bg, but suppose that wouldn't hurt.
Here is another image that isn't pretty, but, hey, it's the best I found that day in the woods. No fawns were out and about.

Any C&C would be most appreciated.

Cheryl Flory
06-03-2010, 04:15 AM
sorry, it is small. but it is still only at 89% in order to get it within size limits.....

Ken Childs
06-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Great idea to concentrate on the leg. Whenever I'm dealing with a snapper, I'm usually so preoccupied with the snapping jaws that I don't take interesting shots like this one. I might clone over the greenery on the right but it's not a deal breaker. It would have been nice if you could see the tips of the claws but I can understand why you didn't get close to remove the dirt that's in the way. :D

Julie Kenward
06-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Love the leg shot! I don't mind the greenery on the right a problem but wasn't sure I liked the LLC - you might be able to clone over that little bit of OOF stuff in the corner. Still, great use of an upclose lens! Nice sharpness and just enough in the frame to set the imagination running!

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Hery Cheryl,
I'm in the school of sometimes low is too low....even for BIF! I know that it is preached here over and over.....so let me be the dissenting voice.....sometimes sitting up to get the tip of the feet is OK!!! I would love to see that toe tip! That's what makes it prehistoric!.....now sit back and watch the LAP (low angle police) come and get me!

Cheryl Flory
06-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Roman, I think you may be right here. I didn't notice that when taking the photo. But perhaps her claws were still sunk into the ground??? Yea, that sounds good. I'll stick with that. :D

Alfred Forns
06-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Just love the feel of this one Cheryl !! Sweet !!! Have to agree with Roman on the low angle, being flat on the ground is not the only option !!

Anita Bower
06-05-2010, 05:15 AM
What a great idea, image and title! Most creative. I like it. I would go for cloning that little bit of stuff in oof stuff in LLC, and the greenery on the right. This image feels like it is of a huge monster!!

Cheryl Flory
06-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks, Anita. I was wondering about either cloning or cropping off the greenery in the LRC, but left it thinking it added a bit of the outdoor feel/the swamp/ etc.