PDA

View Full Version : 3D Dew drops

Steve Adkins
06-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Just sharing my attempt at focus stacking to attain more DOF at high mags. Tried CS5 but went with Photoaccute Studio as it required less cropping. Next time I will give myself more room to work with in CS5.
Used 11 images at about 1 mm focus adjustment on RRS focus rail.
6x with bellows and reversed 24mm. 6"@f22, ISO 400
Modified some of the masks to enhance the DOF but there are still some gaps. Needed more "slices".
So... since I have been scratching my head over the 3D Theme and I have dew drop refractions on my bucket list... decided to modify the "small worlds" polar coordinates technique and added a spot light and shadows.

My only excuse for this image is that I teach 6th grade and these last days of school are having an affect on me :eek:

All C&C welcome. Have Fun!:D

Kerry Perkins
06-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Hi Steve, I think it's a great example of 3D effects and a really cool image! I do wish the stamen was in focus... Nice work on the droplets!

denise ippolito
06-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Steve, I like the bold colors and the dew drops are fantastic. I agree w/ Kerry wanting the stamen more in focus, but from your explanation I can see that you do too. Maybe a tiny bit tight on top? Very creaitve:)

Cheryl Slechta
06-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Steve, the colors are really nice together and the dew drops are really nice (and very cool). Well done:)

Jackie Schuknecht
06-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I think the dew drops look fabulous. I too think it would have looked nice to have the stamen in focus. Beautiful colour of blue in the flower.

Patti Edens
06-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Love the contrast between the yellow and blue colors. The little dew drop spheres are very cool! They are very 3D.

I haven't tried the DOF stacking capabilities in CS5 yet, but I really preferred Helicon Focus over CS4 or any other stacking programs I tried.

Steve Adkins
06-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your support. Enjoyed finding out more about the software. Thanks for the tip on Helicon Focus, Patti. I'm going to look into it.:)

denise ippolito
06-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Steve, I went to a George Lepp seminar a month ago as Art Morris' guest and George Lepp said he likes the stacking capabilities in CS5 better than Helicon focus. May be worth looking into.:)

Steve Adkins
06-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for this insight denise! I hope to learn more about focus stacking and practice this over the coming months... If I'm successful, I'll share :)