PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Stream

Dave Mills
06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I shot this a few years back while in California. I tried to time the trip when the aspens were changing color. In some places the color was full and you could go 2 miles down the road and see no color. Hit and miss!
Nikon D200,17-80 lense,F22,1/4 sec,iso 200,0 comp,tripod mtd

I like the image but not 100% sold on it so I'm looking for opinions. Is the division in the image at the bottom hurting the image or no negative effect. Should some be cropped off the left or not touched?

Robert Amoruso
06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Dave,

I am thinking I would have liked to see all the large rock on the right. Left side is OK.

I would try some local contrast enhancement on this.

Soft light with the hint of strong sunlight in the BG yield a nice looking glow to the image.

Roman Kurywczak
06-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Hey Dave,
Hmmmm......I too debated the RH rock.....I started with a crop off the right....just to the tree in the UR.....but felt it emphasized the rock curve in the LR too much.....you could fill it in but I went with a further crop eliminating it......this did a few things I liked.....made the rock a nice framing edge and for me....improved the flow.....did also take some off the bottom. Applied Robert's LCE for added pop. Let me know what you think.
PS I think you could go with more off the bottom too....middle of submerged rock

David Thomasson
06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
This is really nice Dave. You caught the angle on this scene just right. It doesn't need messing with so much as I needed
to mess with it and experiment with a few things. I cropped about the same as Roman did. But mainly I selectively
brightened the rocks along the far side of the creek (which have lots of interesting details), and the darker woods at top
left. Also sharpened a bit with Topaz Detail.

Here's a flasher to make it easier to see where I brightened:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8499/stream.gif

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9225/streamrx.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
cool as always David!

Dave Mills
06-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Boy, I really like the PP. Nice job Roman and David. Good crop ideas Roman and David I like how you lightened and brought out more detail in the in the image.

Harold Davis
06-02-2010, 06:27 PM
great base image, millsy!! roman's crop seems spot on and david's repost rocks it to the top!!!!

Kobus Tollig
06-03-2010, 03:25 AM
GREAT shot well done on this Dave.
I agree on the crop here and i have also given it a go.
I cropped it
Then i gave the water a 65% gamma
Dodged and Burned the rocks to bring out detail and give it a "glow"
Also lifted the light on the left like David did
Added just a bit of saturation.
Lost detail for some reason haha;)
WORTH TLC. Great work Dave

Dave Mills
06-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi Kobus, appreciate your efforts. I like what I see!!

Paul Marcellini
06-06-2010, 05:43 PM
I agree on the crop and really like what David did. A strong image to begin with though!