PDA

View Full Version : Where should I ask about

JH Tugs
03-02-2008, 07:48 PM
...help getting a bird identified?

I have a series of images of some birds in flight; they're not great quality (500mm handheld, and at some distance), so I'm not really looking for a critique. I'm feeling dumb though because I'm failing to positively identify the birds in the picture.

Can anyone advise me on where I might be able to best ask this question on BPN? (Assuming nobody objects to requests for ID)

ETA: I should add that I have already tried whatbird, many many web searches, and the limited guides I have available to me. I'm pinging elsewhere as well, but I figure that the folks on here would probably be able to ID birds very easily.

Thanks in advance.

Maxis Gamez
03-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I would say the General forum but I would check with other moderators before. Do you have a book?

JH Tugs
03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
I have a couple of small guides, but nothing comprehensive as yet. I was considering a couple (e.g. Sibley) but haven't taken the jump yet. I am more photographer than birder (if I can claim to be either), but I try to identify what I can on my own.

jerry amerson
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi John, the first picture I see in your flickr link, is a flock of Sandhill Cranes. Sandhills have been moving north through our area in large numbers for the last couple of weeks. You can check out what birds are moving in GA here... http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/GABO.html

And, I would be glad to help with other ids.

jerry amerson

JH Tugs
03-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Thanks, Jerry!

Jim Poor
03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
When I have ID trouble (more often than I care to admit) I put up the images on my PBASE account and then post a question to the birdlist server where the images were taken.

I have subscriptions (all free) to VABIRDS, CABIRDS, and OKBIRDS at all times.

Alfred Forns
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Post it here and will give it a try !!!

Harold Davis
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
http://www.whatbird.com/ i like this site, too for an online guide. cant help you in the field, but sure is a cool website.

James Prudente
03-03-2008, 07:23 PM
JH,

Get yourself a copy of Sibley's Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America for starters. Another good one is Kenn Kaufman's Birds of North America.

Jim