PDA

View Full Version : On another Level

Lance Peters
06-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Sometimes IMHO I believe a image can work on another level - Perhaps this image works for you on another level - Perhaps not!! Personal taste I guess.

For me - doesn't quite work as a standard image, Wished for...
Eye to be more visible
Reflection to be stronger

But kinda works for my tastes, as nearly a abstract type thing - like the pose reminds me of a ballerina - Like the light airy feel.

Whats your opinion - Yep you do have one - AND ITS OK - no matter what it is!!!!

D3S
Sigmonster @800mm
F9
1/640th
-1.0EV
Matrix Metering
AWB
Tripod
cropped 80% of original

Fire away :)

arash_hazeghi
06-01-2010, 03:26 AM
very cute pose, love the soft reflection and nice dreamy feel. well done.

Troy Lim
06-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Agree, dreamy feel. I wish that was in my portfolio. :)
Well done. What kind of improvement do you think will help this shot even more?

Alfred Forns
06-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi Lance Agree with you For this one you need to go with the reflection, if you cut it those legs are going to look some kind of strange !!! When I find one with a reflection will take many images hoping one will have a strong sharp reflection !!

Big Keeper in my book for the simple look and feel !!!

Dave Mills
06-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Lance, the simplicity and soft light is the images strength. I feel you handled it well and is a well thought out...

Ann Fiske
06-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Lance,
Wonderful feel to this. Gradient background does it for me. I wouldn't want any stronger a reflection. Elegant bird and pose. Love it!!!

ann

Alfred Forns
06-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi Lance Been coming back to this one a few times, has really caught my eye !

One thing interesting ... we are so programed to look for certain things we forget the obvious, I try hard not falling into that trap :) but fell here !! . have to fully agree with Ann regarding the soft reflection, it is much nicer than if you had a strong reflection, it would have severely altered the mood in a negative way !!! Thanks Ann !!!

Stan Cunningham
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
To me, the beauty of this photo is that you really can't tell where the water ends and the sky begins, hence the dreamy feeling. Add that with a "sleepy" bird and it's wonderful.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
06-01-2010, 10:42 AM
For me, I don't mind about the closed eye at all. In fact I think it goes well with the calm, serene mood. The white/soft blue tone in the background and the standing on one leg with head tilt toward body pose all contribute to the calm feeling.Also as Stan mentioned, love how the sky merge so well with the water. I'm half half between strong or soft reflection, not sure about this one.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Lance,

Greetings. I'm with Thanaboon, I like the closed eye and the quiet dreamy quality of the image overall. I would if it were mine whiten (neutralize) the yellowish clouds just over the head.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

Desmond Chan
06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
we are so programed to look for certain things we forget the obvious...

Bingo !!

Many a time I find that many of us here when looking at a posted image, we see it as a portrait shot. It does not have to be like that, IMO. We look for things that only a photographer could see, things that matter only to a photographer. Show it to a non-photographer and he/she may give you a different respond.

As for this one, this is a good image, period. It looks good and it feels good. Isn't that good enough?

Rachel Hollander
06-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Lance - I really like this and agree with the others on the dreamy quality. The bend in the leg also adds to it for me.

TFS,
Rachel

Harold Davis
06-01-2010, 04:36 PM
had it not been for the closed eye, you would have never thought ballerina. for just that, i think it's special, but the light takes it into another class. well done, lance!!!

Dave Leroy
06-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I think it is a very well done photo.

It has a very soft special feeling about it with the soft lighting, muted colours and very calm and relaxed bird.

I also do not really see anyway to crop out the reflection and since I find the pose of the bird such a big part of photo the type of reflection is quite secondary.

Tks for posting.

Kerry Perkins
06-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey Lance, I think this is pretty wonderful. I think you should post it to OOTB also. Love it!

Lance Peters
06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Hey Lance, I think this is pretty wonderful. I think you should post it to OOTB also. Love it!

Consider it done! :)

Bob Miller
06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi Lance...like it very much as presented

Jeff Cashdollar
06-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Another keeper vote, nice soft muted BG with lovely colors. Actually, this is one of the better "Birds as Art" images I have seem in a while. Really like this - hang it - see how it looks framed.