PDA

View Full Version : unknown very tiny fly

Cheryl Flory
05-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Not a challenge image, but one from today that I like.

Canon 40D
Tamron 90mm at f/13
1/40"
ISO 400
EC +.67

I darkened the leaf, and added a lot of clarify and increased the blacks to make it look sharper. Vibrance on the body. This guy just would not sit still! plus it was a windy day being between thunderstorms, otherwise I would have used more DOF. I'm surprised I got an image at all!

would appreciate any C&C on improving this image or on improving my next chance of trying for this type of image.

Bob Miller
05-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi Cheryl...I think the sharpness on this has been handled very well especially under the conditions you describe. I really like the wings and the vibrant colors. I have never thought of increasing the blacks to add to sharpening effect. Do you do this through selective color? and how much do you add usually?
You might consider using Viveza to work the bg. Also, like the shadow....TFS:)

Anita Bower
06-01-2010, 05:00 AM
Nice job. I think you did a great job on the fly--wonderful colors, looks sharp to me, I like its position on the leaf and in the image. I, too, would like to know more about using blacks to increase sharpness. There is a light spot directly to the left of the head, half way to the edge, that i find distracting. Thanks for showing us the beauty of a fly.

Cheryl Flory
06-01-2010, 05:17 AM
I increase the blacks in selective colors, it really does not improve sharpness at all, it is actually a way to have more control when adding contrast. That is where I also lighten the whites or adjust the neutrals for contrast effect. And to my eyes, an image with more contrast just looks sharper. It really isn't.

Anita, I actually saw that white spot in the image, but decided to leave it since it was part of the hosta leaf, but I see where it is distracting. thanks.

Thomas Herou
06-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Very nice!
Good control over the contrasts.Fantastic tiny shiny fly.
I like the comp also.Very good,Cheryl!

Cheryl Flory
06-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Thank you, Bob, Anita, and Thomas. I was so excited to see one image come out. It's my first insect try.
Wow, you gotta love macro! lol

This is just toooooo much fun. :D

Ken Childs
06-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Cheryl, I think you did an outstanding job and I would be proud to have an image like this. More DOF would have been better but sometimes you have to do what you can with what's given to you and you definitely did well for a windy day.

Cheryl Flory
06-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Thank you, Ken and Thomas, Anita and Bob. I am surprised it turned out as well as it did with a shutter speed as slow as it was. I didn't realize it was that slow, or I prob would have made the DOF even more shallow. And that would have been a mistake.

Ken Childs
06-01-2010, 10:07 AM
BTW, this from a family generically known as Long-legged Flies.

Cheryl Flory
06-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks, Ken. I was hoping someone would tell me some ID on it.

Roman Kurywczak
06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Hey Cheryl,
Funny....I was photographing this guy just the other day! You have captured this litle guys colors perfectly.....yeah.....more DOF would have been a bonus....but this is very well done as presented! BTW....I'll let you in on a little secret.....I brought my leaf and fly inside!!!.....no wind but my wife isn't happy with the flies flying around:D.

Cheryl Flory
06-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Roman, how do you keep the fly on the leaf, when inside?:confused:
this guy was constantly hopping around....

Christopher Miller
06-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Very nice, Cheryl! Excellent work getting the fly nice and sharp. Love all the color on the fly too. :)

OvidiuCavasdan
06-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Looks good to me as presented, very nice colors and eyes. I dont mind the DOF, good job under given conditions! Like the BG and the shadow.

Fabs Forns
06-02-2010, 12:24 PM
You really nailed this one, the iridescence show very nicely and very sharp too.

Mike Moats
06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Hey Cheryl, looks like your new Tamron 90 is doing a nice job and so are you. I like the nice sharp details and color in the fly. Also good positioning of the fly in the frame.

Jerry van Dijk
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Very nice Cheryl, excellent colors and crisp details. I like the position of the fly in the frame You may want to consider cropping some from the right to get a more symmetrical position in the UR corner.

Julie Kenward
06-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Why is this not your challenge image, Cheryl? It's fantastic! Looks like you've really taken to the macro lens and quickly, too! Outstanding colors and clarity. I love it!

Cheryl Flory
06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
because I didn't read the challenge carefully enough since I thought I would get an image worth putting in the challenge. lol
and now its too late.
but at least I got C&C on it!!
thanks, everyone!

Cheryl Flory
06-03-2010, 09:05 AM
OK, Julie, if I had been thinking, this is how I would have done the image for the challenge. but it is still only at 88 percent.

Ken Childs
06-03-2010, 03:11 PM
I know it doesn't count but THIS IS THE WINNER! :D

Julie Kenward
06-03-2010, 04:00 PM
I know it doesn't count but THIS IS THE WINNER!

See, Cheryl! ;)

Cheryl Flory
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
ouch! I felt that elbow jab you just gave me, waaaaaaay over here, Julie! :D
But really, Julie, I do appreciate your encouragement.:)

Ian Cassell
06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Yours looks like this guy's brother :) http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64632

These guys really move around and I'm really impressed by your image -- much clearer than mine. I'm especially amazed that you got it at 1/40 sec!

Paul Lagasi
06-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Cheryl..I didn't even see this when I posted mine yesterday, wow, beautiful capture, sharp, lovely angle and crop...

Cheryl Flory
06-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Paul!