Av mode
1/15"
F4.5
ISO:100
LR & CS3

Shot inside with window light.

Julie Kenward
05-31-2010, 07:08 AM
You've got daylilies already? You lucky dog! Lovely colors and a beautiful exposure here, Ken. I find myself wishing for a bit more DOF on the front stem but like that you have one stamen in focus and one OOF, echoing the first.

Alfred Forns
05-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Lovely image Ken Agree with Jules and might suggest a slight different angle to get them a little closer? Love that bg !!!

Ken Childs
05-31-2010, 01:53 PM
I tried lots of angles and settings but in this case there just wasn't enough room to use a smaller aperture or get better looking views. A smaller aperture brought out too much detail in the BG and the other angles showed things that didn't look good.

The good news it that there are plenty more daylilies blooming so I can try again with a different flower. :)

Jerry van Dijk
05-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Ken, great work. I like the composition, the colors and the detail on the stamen. I might consider adding some canvas to the right or crop slightly from the UR corner to get more balance in the space to the left and top of the focussed stamen.

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Hey Ken,
Being an f32 nut.....I normally go for more in focus.....but I'll go against the crowd here.....rare....but I actually like the fall off from front to back and the way you seperated the stamen with the color in between! Very nicely done!!!

Anita Bower
06-01-2010, 04:33 AM
Very nice! I like the angle of the stamen, the selective focus, the colors. how you filled the frame with the orange petal. If you were to change anything, it would be to crop a little off the top, but, I like it as is.
I hope this is for the "challenge" even though it doesn't say so in the title.

Ken Childs
06-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks, Anita. :)
I didn't use this for the challenge because, IMO, it doesn't really fit the "we're looking for something very small that can fill the frame" part of the challenge.