PDA

View Full Version : Old Naples Pier II

Harold Davis
05-30-2010, 05:36 PM
here's another composition of the same pier as yesterday. this one is probably my second favorite of the bunch. but, i'd bet you guys are gonna say i should have gotten lower.:)

D300, 18-200 at 18mm, f/22, 30s, ISO 100, manual exp., 3-stop GND

thanks for looking. comments and critiques much appreciated.

Don Lacy
05-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi Harold, I like this one over the first version which is a more conventional composition while this one is more in dynamic with the pilings leading you through the image from the right side of the frame, the pelican at the very end of the pilings is the best part of the image for me.

Hilary Hann
05-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Funny, first thought was to get lower … I must be learning something here!! :)

The pelican is great, just in a perfect spot and I like the colour and composition here. The water looks silky, maybe not having the pilings break the horizon would have been nice but then you would have needed a higher angle not a lower one, so a bit of a contradiction … who knows.

I do prefer this one over the earlier one you posted.

Dave Woeller
05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Although I like the water itself a bit better in the first one, I like the overall feel of this shot much more. Keep in mind that this opinion comes from limited land/sescape experience. The mood and tones just please me. I'm curoius as to how just a touch of fill might look on the pilings though. Just my thoughts. I really like the shot.

Dave Mills
05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi Harold, I like the overall feel to the image. The silky water along with the low light. I think you did as well as you could positioning the pilings with the least amount of merges in the foreground. I also like the small opening where the bird is present. The merge of the pilings through the horizon really doesn't bother me that much in this case.
On the repost all I did was lighten(rather quickly) the pilings and a slight more sat to the sky. Can be considered a subjective view..

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Hey Harold.....why did you think lower???.....that would put the pilings more into the sky......try higher (although I'd bet not possible).....this would have kept the piling in the water w/o crossing the sky/horizon. This is definitely stonger in any case so a bit of tweaking along Dave's suggestions will help bring this one up another notch!
PS You may want to try a reverse s-curve first....to knock down some contrast b4 proceeding with tweaks!

Harold Davis
05-31-2010, 03:21 PM
i told the wife next time i'll have to bring a ladder.:D she still thinks i'm crazy.

i said lower because i thought more separation of the tops with the horizon would be better. i do have an idea now though. cant wait to get back!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2010, 05:39 PM
i told the wife next time i'll have to bring a ladder.:D she still thinks i'm crazy.

i said lower because i thought more separation of the tops with the horizon would be better. i do have an idea now though. cant wait to get back!!
.....just remember to screw in a few plumbing PVC end caps onto the side of the ladder.....makes a great tripod holder!

Michael Pancier
06-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I love this angle of the old pier. I almost went there myself, but opted to shoot sunrise instead.

Kobus Tollig
06-02-2010, 05:20 AM
I agree with DAve here. I wish the poles did not cut the horizon or cut it more. Still nice one