PDA

View Full Version : My Back Yard

Don Lacy
05-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Not really but when Don Hamilton arrived at my house at 5:30 in the morning and asked how long was the ride to Coral Cove I just smiled and said not to long, two minutes later we were sitting in the parking lot:)
This was taken around a half hour after Don's image and the sky had started to clear from the morning storm so not as dramatic as I would have liked and no Roman you do not want to see the color image mostly grey clouds with very week color.

40D, 17-40, .6s at f/16, spot metered, Manual Mode, Raw, ISO 100, two stop hard edge grad (so no blending needed)

Harold Davis
05-30-2010, 05:39 PM
i like the speed. nice detail in the water left. the black and white conversion looks good, but i'm wondering if a contrast boost might liven it up a little. the horizon needs a little CCW rotation.

Don Lacy
05-30-2010, 05:51 PM
i like the speed. nice detail in the water left. the black and white conversion looks good, but i'm wondering if a contrast boost might liven it up a little. the horizon needs a little CCW rotation.
Thanks Harold for commenting and catching the horizon, my wife liked this version over the one with more contrast so I went with it:)

Hilary Hann
05-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Wives are always right, however I would love to see a version with added contrast, just to prove to us that your wife was right! :p

Dave Mills
05-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Don,Nice B&W conversion and interesting subject matter.
A couple of things I could suggest. First I would crop the sky down to a little above the darker band of clouds.
Secondly, I would of added a small amount more to the bottom.
Finally, I too would add more of a contrast boost to the image. It generally strengthens the image to see more dimension...

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey Don,
OK....so no color! I like the choice of B&W then!!! Do agree with the more contrast choir but will add another option for you to try just on the sky....B4 Dave's crop. Try a multiplied layer (Robert A has it in the sticky under tonal range tweaks at top of forum) and vary the opacity to liking....might bring out more detail in that sky and give a more angry/contrasty look to it. The flow of the composition works very nicely here so worth trying to bring up as much detail as possible to bring this up to its full potential!

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Don nicely down, like the idea of a bit more contrast too!
Sweet!!!
Don

Don Lacy
05-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Version 2 with more contrast and a darker more forbidding feel to it.

Don Lacy
05-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Version 3 with a pano crop which lessens the influence of the sky on the image and emphasizes the limestone rock and the water flowing around it. I think this version has the strongest impact and best defines what the image is about, the limestone rock and water.

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
OK Don.....gave it a whack in CS2 (yeah....I'm going to 5 soon!)
Skyfrom horizon up; Selective color layer pull down neutral and added +25 to black. B/C layer on brightest area near horizon -25 brightness and +9 contrast BC on area above that at +5 AND +28. Small area on right selective color white channel -54 on black and in Neutral +11 on black. finally a BC layer on entire sky of -4 and +8. On only rocks....Levels layer of 12/1.08/227 and then water....brightest are B/C of -16 and +15. finally an LCE on entire image of 20/26/0.
Whadayathink?
PS cropped

Don Lacy
05-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Roman, Looks like I went to far in the other direction, now lets see if I can replicate what you did:) I have not done much landscape work since going digital I really need to practice on my processing skills.

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Very nice Roman....Don L, outstanding comp, and capture!!!
Don