PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Birds across Continents - Your take? Your List?

manishgadia
05-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Dear All,

Whilst each and every bird has its own importance and beauty attached to it but there are some birds which stands out. If i have to say that these 10 birds (a List of birds one has to watch from across the world) to see the best across all the continents then according to you all what changes etc can/should be done to below list.
OR
To say it in a better manner - Which birds would you rate (beautywise or any other feature/characteristic which makes them special) as top 10 (from all over the world? What will be your list?

I am relatively new to BIRDING and i am sure there would be veterans here (on the group) which can help in composing such a List.

Based on my little knowledge i have created this list
(source - TV programs, some books, pics, forum, bird trips :-)

1. Indian Peacock / Peafowl
2. Sarus Crane
3. Clarks Grebes
4. Bower Bird
5. Red bird of Paradise
6. Blue Bird of Paradise
7. Goldies Bird of Paradise
8. Pink Flamingoes
9. Osprey
10. Humming Bird

As said earlier, if ones has to go on and on there would be a list of 200. Such is the diversity in birds. But restricting the list to Top 10 across world is very difficult.

Rgds,
Manish Gadia
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=171003&id=536552549&l=89102ff86e

WIlliam Maroldo
05-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Sorry, I can not comment on birds I have not seen with my own two eyes(and camera) and captive birds don't count either. They are so many beautiful birds in the tropics, like the bee eaters, that not only I could not come up with a list, but it wouldn't be practical, since I wouldn't be able photograph them myself anyway. Such a list on a local scale does seem to have practical applications though. I can knowledgeably comment on birds that inhabit the Texas Gulf Coast, and do have a bias on wanting to take birds that are more beautiful than drab, unless there are behaviors that interest me and beauty doesn't matter so much. I do have a list, though I haven't actually written it down til now, to help determine where I should visit at a specific time of year.
What stage in the breeding cycle has alot to do with it. Anyway, given the opportunity I would forego other birds if any of these were present in the area; I couldn't come up with 10-only 9.

1) painted bunting
2) purple gallinule
3) white-faced or glossy ibis(breeding plummage only)
4) cattle egret(male breeding plumage only)
5) tricolored heron(male breeding plumage only)
6) anhinga(male breeding plummage only)
7) wood duck(male)
8)roseate spoonbill ( peak breading plummage, which includes area of pink on top of neck)
9)Great Egret(peak male breeding plummage including full plumes, blue-green lores, red eyes)
regards~Bill

Harshad Barve
05-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Where is Oriental Dwarf King Fisher , You can see image here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56080

Danny J Brown
05-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Where is Oriental Dwarf King Fisher , You can see image here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56080

HB - I went back and looked at your thread and it was an a great story with sublime images. And, I agree ... one of the most beautiful birds in the world.

DB

manishgadia
05-31-2010, 01:37 PM
HB - I went back and looked at your thread and it was an a great story with sublime images. And, I agree ... one of the most beautiful birds in the world.

DB

Indeed...KF deserves a Rank in the List. :-)

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-01-2010, 01:26 AM
1. Powerful Owl
2. Barking Owl
3. Southern Boobook
4. Masked Owl
5. Eastern Barn Owl
6. Sooty Owl
7. Little Eagle
8. Square-tailed Kite
9. Australian Owlet-nightjar
10. White-throated Nightjar

That's in no order of preference. All the same, but my raptor and owl list is endless really. :D I guess the lists are subjective, but I seriously developed a bug for raptors and owls. The best thing is that I can see all on my list within a half hour drive from my place in western Sydney! ;) Some even from my kitchen window as I am cooking. :D

Jim Neiger
06-03-2010, 09:11 AM
1. Powerful Owl
2. Barking Owl
3. Southern Boobook
4. Masked Owl
5. Eastern Barn Owl
6. Sooty Owl
7. Little Eagle
8. Square-tailed Kite
9. Australian Owlet-nightjar
10. White-throated Nightjar

That's in no order of preference. All the same, but my raptor and owl list is endless really. :D I guess the lists are subjective, but I seriously developed a bug for raptors and owls. The best thing is that I can see all on my list within a half hour drive from my place in western Sydney! ;) Some even from my kitchen window as I am cooking. :D

This should be a doable list. I got five of these (The nightjars and 3 of the owls) during my one 5 week trip in Australia. I also got three of the Australian birds on Manish's list (Bower bird, Sarus crane and osprey)